I'm looking for good/bad recommendations for a 30W per channel, rack-mountable 16 port POE switch. My choices now seem to be:

Trendnet TPES160 10/100 (not gigabit?)

Everfocus ESM316T002R4 10/100/1000 (highest price)

DLINK DGS15002) 10/100/1000 (best price)

any others I should considder?

I think these all say managed. Don't think I really need managed (at this time anyway), and managed may be a PIA to set up if I don't need it, or are the switches still plug and play not requiring managed setup?

I think I have heard there are 60W per channel units, is that correct?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I am certain that I am not the right guy to be giving you the answers that you need. However, I might be able to help a little.

I have a ZyXel switch, based on recommendations on here. You might want to take a look at those.

Second, make sure you check the amount of power that those PoE's can provide. IIRC, the manufacturers generally refer to a "Power Budget". This is the total amount of power that the PoE can provide to all ports. The total "Power Budget" is sometimes not enough to provide max power to all ports at the same time.

The main benefit to managed is that you can usually read the power draw of each device, which is nice to have but not critical. They are harder to set up, and have lots more options if you need such, but most camera-specific switches don't.

Managed is good for remotely resetting cameras that hang. This isn't common, but usually happens only when you need to access the camera the most. Zyxel has an 8 PoE + GiGe uplink managed switch for about $229. Their 16 port unmanaged switch (8 of them PoE) is what I use and I like it about half that price.

There's two things I look for, one is that every port is capable of the full 15.4w standard (most switches have an aggregate max like 60W for 8 ports yet claim 15.4W per port, so be careful) and two, I like switches that run on 120VAC, meaning I can just plug them in straight with a power cord, not a power brick or wall wort adapter.

Do most switches have fans as well? That could also be a consideration.

I usually see this more in business class switches, such as Cisco switches, but I have seen it in mid/entry level switches as well, usually not an issue unless you are racking up the switch with other gear.

Managed switches can be a great help if you want to segregate your cameras into a VLAN of their own, and still use remaining ports to handle data traffic.

I take back my recommendation, didn't know you needed 30W per port which is unusual request but if you have cameras that require that, maybe go with one of your choices but the Trendnet is not 30W per port, 15.4W on not much information on the Everfocus.

You're wrong, it is actually PoE+ compliant HOWEVER it does not support 30w on EVERY port unless you have a RPS power supply added to it (24 x 30w is 720w) the standard power supply is a 375w, so you can use PoE+ on roughly half the ports, if you want to enable the rest you just add in the RPS power supply

if you wish for proof of it supplying over 15w I can supply a screen shot

if you wish for proof of it supplying over 15w I can supply a screen shot

Just going by their spec sheet that says 15.4w max per port. The engineers should have discussed this with marketing, LOL.

yeah I did a double take too, but we've got a PoE+ light that pulls 25w all night

if you dig back through the specs, right back to 3com's specs (these specific HP switch's are rebadged 3coms) it states on 3coms documentation that they will do up to PoE+ but the total power envelope is 530w or something, so you can load up as many ports as you want, with up to 25w or whatever it is per port (that's 25w at the device) until you hit the wattage envelope...

I don't see that as being an issue for us, our PoE camera's only chew 7w in operation, so we could fit something like 10 PoE+ lights on each switch and still not need the RPS to go with the switch

I believe HP don't rate the switch at PoE+ as, from what i can understand, you can't load the whole switch up with PoE+ devices without the RPS to go with it.

I can dig up more info if you like?

on the other side of things, we just upgraded the main switch's at our work to the HP 5120-48G-PoE+ switch's, these are Fully PoE+ compliant and cost $4.5K each

you can see why we feel the V1910-24G-PoE is a steal! :P

Managed is good for remotely resetting cameras that hang. This isn't common, but usually happens only when you need to access the camera the most. Zyxel has an 8 PoE + GiGe uplink managed switch for about $229. Their 16 port unmanaged switch (8 of them PoE) is what I use and I like it about half that price.

There's two things I look for, one is that every port is capable of the full 15.4w standard (most switches have an aggregate max like 60W for 8 ports yet claim 15.4W per port, so be careful) and two, I like switches that run on 120VAC, meaning I can just plug them in straight with a power cord, not a power brick or wall wort adapter.

Is the 16 port Zyxel fan loud? I know loud is in the ears of the beholder, but I've read the fan is loud.

Is the 16 port Zyxel fan loud? I know loud is in the ears of the beholder, but I've read the fan is loud.

I have that same switch. As you note, it is subjective and hard to describe.

I installed the PoE switch in my office. I wasn't prepared for how loud the fan is. I don't know that I would say it is loud, but it is certainly not quiet. I find it distracting. If I could do it all over again, I would have set up the PoE in another location - probably the basement.

I can't hear mine at all and it's mostly full with maybe 14 ports being used. Didn't even know it had a fan but reality is, the fan on my PC probably drowns it out. I keep my switch under my desk, so it's not in my face like the PC is and that may be why some people complain more than others if they say keep their switch on their desk for example.

you are going to get Fans in just about every PoE switch, the reality is that sending power through the ports requires regulators, and regulators get warm, especially when you have large amounts of them packed closely (so any 16 port and up switch) with regards to putting racking/equipment into buildings if it's an office it should really be in a separate room anyway else you'll have that gear heating your whole office....

what we do in our factories is run B&R Sealed cabinets for these switch's, the cabinets have enough surface area to dissipate what heat is generated (even on 45 degree C days) that would probably reduce your noise, the other option is you could do if you are fine with Getto wiring is to disable the 40mm fans and run some ducting to some 80mm or 120mm fans which will have even better airflow, this however is not an option if the fan is built right into a power supply in the switch itself

Any thoughts about the 24 port TP-LINK L2 managed POE switch? I have one of their 16 port managed switches without POE and it seems to be fine (interface is a little clunky, but it works). Price is about $499. 320W over 24 ports.

Alternative would be a Cisco SG300-10MP @ $400. 120W over 8/10 ports.

Mainly interested in being able to remotely power on/off any POE connected devices (cameras). Will likely take advantage of VLANs as well.

Just starting out with a home system and it seems like 8 port switches are more flexible as I can trunk out from main switch to 8 port POE switches, but they start to add up if managed.

yeah, I'd start simple

I don't regret buying our better (managed) switch's... we've had odd issues with ports failing on the cheap PoE's (sub $100)

FWIW I just ordered the Everfocus 10/100/1000 16 port managed POE about $500. 180Watt available budget. More than enough for most cameras. My indoor cameras are 4Watt. My outdoor PTZ are suppossed to be 18Watt with heater and blower and I don't have any yet.