mattmbr2005

960H Technology Question

Hello all.

I am working on a site that wants to upgrade from their current Samsung SVR-1645 DVR's. (Currently D1, not realtime)

They want to stay analogue. going IP is NOT an option.

I'm looking at the SRD-1673D from Samsung as they can then utilise the 960H technology to record a slightly better resolution.

My questions are:

1. If I have previously installed 600 / 650 TVL cameras.... when I swap out the DVR will I see an improvement and be able to record at this resolution? The cameras are over 600 TVL but do not state 'compatable with 960H' as it didn't exist when the camera's were made!

2. Some of the camera's are wired with coax, some use baluns and cat5e. - Assuming the camera is a 650 TVL camera, will it still benefit? or will this method of transmission not work for 960H?

Thanks peeps.

You are not going to see a difference by upgrading the DVR to 960h and keeping the same cameras. You will see a difference

if it was a really old DVR and had the worst resolution capabilities. I have installed 2 960H dvrs with 700tvl cameras and

was not really impressed. For alittle more money, you should suggest to your client an hd-sdi system especially if coax

is already run and you cannot run new cat 5 or it's not in the budget to rerun new wires.

For alittle more money, you should suggest to your client an hd-sdi system

DONT you mean thousands are needed.

He wants to keep his existing ANALOG cameras.

I am working on a site that wants to upgrade from their current Samsung SVR-1645 DVR's

Hi. matt. I would look at upgrade to a hybrid use your existing cameras and add IP later. avermedia or logic are well prices.

or Dahua or IC Realtime if you just want to stay analog

No, I do not mean thousands! You can get hd-sdi cameras for under 200.00 now and the dvr's are not too far off from 960H dvrs and how much do you think hybrids are??? He wants to keep his existing analog, but get the best possible resolution only because there is coax run already, not because he's poor.

But, thank you for correcting me cause I do not know anything.

No, I do not mean thousands! You can get hd-sdi cameras for under 200.00 now

BUT he needs 16 ...... 16 x $200 = thousands plus recorder plus extenders if over 100m

For alittle more money,

ONLY pointing out its not a little more to change to sdi

Thanks guys - Sorry for the confusion.

Just to confirm IP is NOT an option and won't be for a considerable time. It's not suitable for the building.

Like I said they have SVR-1645's now, so already recording in D1 resolution...

I guess the best option is HD-SDI for any additional cameras - The site uses samsung's remote view software to view the DVR's accross the site so i'll have to stick with samsung HD-SDI DVR's - The client only wants ONE system for remote viewing all DVR's.

Thanks for the help folks I'll investigate the HD-SDI options from samsung... any one used them?

Matt

Thanks guys - Sorry for the confusion.

Just to confirm IP is NOT an option and won't be for a considerable time. It's not suitable for the building.

Like I said they have SVR-1645's now, so already recording in D1 resolution...

I guess the best option is HD-SDI for any additional cameras - The site uses samsung's remote view software to view the DVR's accross the site so i'll have to stick with samsung HD-SDI DVR's - The client only wants ONE system for remote viewing all DVR's.

Thanks for the help folks I'll investigate the HD-SDI options from samsung... any one used them?

Matt

You will have to replace all your system if you go SDI

Why is building not suitable for IP

IT infrastructure is not suitable and the cost of upgrading is high - Switches, Cat 5, network bandwidth. Not to mention the head banging with IT people. Plus the client simply doesn't want IP.

The site has around 60 cameras. Swapping all for IP and NVR's as well as the amount of fibre, switches etc is just not an option.

Surely going HD-SDI over time with new cameras and DVR's, then swapping out the existing is best? The existing coax runs can still be used?

What coax do people recommend for SDI?

Also, I've seen 'special' SDI BNC connectors.... Can I not use regular ones?

Thanks people, your help is greatly appreciated.

Surely going HD-SDI over time with new cameras and DVR's,

Hi. don't think you understand going SDI you will need to replace all cameras from the start along with SDI recorder.

you will find cheaper over time going IP have you thought of hybrid use existing cameras and IP

Why not just use media converters on the existing COAX runs and just pop an RJ45 end on the CAT5 runs?

This would allow you to go IP, you would probably need to add some POE injectors but I can't say for sure.

Then you can utilize the existing wiring runs and get your IP cameras.

As has been stated HD-SDI will mean new DVR's and new Cameras, and the posibility of repeaters if the cabling runs are to long.

You should not need much if any Fiber to go IP and switches and routers will only need 1 or 2 gigabit ports and POE to handle the trunking to the NVR.

Although I know where you are coming from with the IT guys, spent many years working computer security and try telling an IT team they need to change something even for security reasons is like hitting your head against the wall until you forget why you are even there.

Hi Guys...

I know SDI will mean swapping both cameras and DVR. I was looking at keeping what they have and using new SDI DVR's and Camera's for FUTURE additions and swapping out over time.

As I've said twice now, the client doesn't want to go IP, but just to clear up...

Something I've yet to be convinced by with IP:

The site currently uses around 60 cameras. The bandwidth would be spread over the switches etc and thats fine. However, surely the bottleneck is the remote view station? Because the client wants ONE machine, running the software, the view ALL 60 cameras easily. Now if it was connecting to 60 1080P cameras, surely to get any decent kind of quality and frame rate I've been told the machine would need a direct fibre NIC card from the backbone network switch - otherwise traffic to the remote view PC would be too high..... Thoughts? This seems expensive...

Matt

I'm not sure if your fully understanding hd-sdi? HD-sdi has the same resolution as IP cameras, only it runs over coax. So, if

bandwidth and your computer is what your worried about, than stick with really good analog cameras and dvrs. If money is

what your worried about, stick with analog again. But to say IP is not an option and hd-sdi for 'future' additions, kind of

does not make sense in our minds. You have to realize hd-sdi cameras sometimes are more expensive than IP cameras and hd-sdi dvrs are more as well, and bandwidth is just as much as IP. So, for future installations, why wouldn't you run cat 5, install an NVR, and run software that can view analog and IP at the same time?

OK.

I think I'll have to tell them that unless they go IP, there really isn't anywhere they can take the CCTV that really improves on what they have now.

The problem with the hybrid idea is no one can give me a solution. All the DVR's are Samsung. The current software doesn't support IP cameras and the upgraded software doesn't support the older SVR-1645 DVR's!!

Can anyone suggest a decent third party software that call pull the older DVR's and any new IP cameras into one piece of software for remote viewing, playback etc?

I was looking at milestone but they do not support SVR-1645 DVR's.

Thanks, Matt

I think best solution is upgrade DVR to 960H(WD1) DVR which affordable recording 700tvl resolution. And you point out good question for is there transmitter is able to support. As I know it as same as DVR, it needs to upgrade WD1 otherwise it may caused abberation.

As for Hybrid solution for IP+Analog or SDI+Analog, I think you could finding out some good brand from Korea. But you better guge the longest distance between DVR and camera at this premises. HD-SDI transmission is upto 100 M via RG-59U, 150M via RG-6 but if you do not prefer to old pipeline, it may only 50% distance compare with new one.

I hope this is not highjacking the thread since I think my question falls somewhat along that of the original posters.

I am looking to install a couple of HIKVISION DVR's which state they utilize 960H technology and I already have a decent supply of 700 TVL cameras I purchased before 960H technology came out. My question is will the DVR receive as good of an image with 700 TVL cameras as they would with cameras that promote 700 TVL and 960H technology ?

Cabling all RG-59

Thanks