data0213

Surveillance system - DIY guide and other questions?

Hi,

After watching the brutal beating video in NJ, I've started researching surveillance systems for my house. I would like to install a system that will not break the bank but protect my family. I don't want to spend more than $1500.

Here are some requirements I came up with:

• Have ability to record video from at least 8 cameras - most outdoors and at least a couple indoors.
  • Take one or more pictures and send them to an email address if motion is detected.
  • Have ability to "see" at night.
  • Have ability to stream out security videos over IP for remote monitoring.

I am fairly technical and will be able to run Cat5/coax to the cameras. I would like to get all IP cameras, but I have a feeling they will be really expensive. I would also like to centralize power delivery to the cameras. Again, I'm worried about the cost.

Does anybody here know if there is a decent guide that will help DIYers like me choose and set up a system like this? If not, I would like to learn and volunteer to start a guide somewhere if possible.

I'm tempted to buy a pre-built setup system from a manufacturer such as Swann but the resolution on their cameras seem really low. I don't have the patience to deal with low quality systems. Do you recommend just going with a system like that for my application?

Thanks,

MT

I am still waiting for mine, so not ready to endorse it yet:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100027599.html

But if 2.1 mp cams seem low-res to you, you are probably not a $1500 customer. This package is IP with 4 IR cams, 8 ch. NVR, and cables plus software (which we haven't heard a lot about). At 1080p it seems to be a lot of bang for the ($1200) buck. The Q-See is $700 for 1.3 mp/720p cams in a similar package, and many were happy with that.

It does appear to meet your stated goals and budget, and some others have reported good results, but it's still theoretical until it gets here.

The available guides are mostly from vendors educating you to buy their packages. I found reading here (and Buellwinkle's blog) among the better online resources for DIY.

Yes, the Swann is low resolution at 2MP, I personally don't buy anything new under 3MP.

The ACTi D33 runs about $389 from an authorized dealer and is 5MP so you can buy 4 and then use ACTi NVR software for free and run it on an old or cheap PC.

I am not sure that surveillance protects, it can only captures event video and possibly deter crime.

To protect your home you need to look at physical security for your home, doors, window, etc. and some early signaling devices (alarm) to alert the occupants, call the police, and possibly scare off the suspect and alert neighbors.

Cameras could only help capture event.

Hi,

After watching the brutal beating video in NJ, I've started researching surveillance systems for my house. I would like to install a system that will not break the bank but protect my family.

MT

I am not sure that surveillance protects, it can only captures event video and possibly deter crime.

To protect your home you need to look at physical security for your home, doors, window, etc. and some early signaling devices (alarm) to alert the occupants, call the police, and possibly scare off the suspect and alert neighbors.

Cameras could only help capture event.

Hi,

After watching the brutal beating video in NJ, I've started researching surveillance systems for my house. I would like to install a system that will not break the bank but protect my family.

MT

Every door, lock, security mechanism, window, alarm system, CCTV system can be beaten, they are all just deterrents to try and prevent issues from arising. Cameras can provide vital evidence should an issue happen. I never sell a CCTV system to my customers on the fact is will stop anything.

Definitely is a huge deterrent to crime. Put a system in at a condo pool and crime dropped drastically, still there but maybe went from one incident a day to one incident a month. Also the police seemed more interested in cases where video was involved.

Will it stop a pro, one that thinks through the situation, no, but that's not the typical criminal, especially summer time where there's a lot of board teenagers.

Bullwinkle:

It is a proven fact the video systems do not deter crime. In your case it may have, but it general it does not. What is interesting is that no one knows why. The industry will not admit it but the facts and supporting data are there

Facial recognition is a whole different story. Megapixels don't always mean you will have recognition. Ther are just so many other factors to consider. Go to JVSG design software and you will be very surprised.

Long ago when I was in the biz, there was usually a drop in misbehavior right after the systems went in, but then it was just as though they forgot the things were there.

They would do unbelievably stupid and/or criminal things right in front of the cameras. I don't know if they forgot, or just assumed no one was actually watching.

That all refers to employees, of course. Your smarter class of true criminal might choose to avoid well-surveyed areas.

Dave:

That is probably more accurate of a staement. I think the problem is the drugs. I work with at risk youths and I always ask them what they were thinking. It's always they were not or did not care.

When you get into the more sophiosticated criminal they may go next door, but those days are mostly over. In the early days when I was in sales, I could always dazzle people by telling them that they go right to the top left hand side of the mans dresser drawer. Today, I don't even have a dresser but the bedroom is still key.

Today I deal in advanced threat detction and the control of extraordinary violence. If they are coming, there is only one thing to do. Detect, delay and take action. We install a lot of thermal cameras with analytics for this purpose.

Long ago when I was in the biz, there was usually a drop in misbehavior right after the systems went in, but then it was just as though they forgot the things were there.

Most of the people forget the existence of the cameras after just 10 minutes based on some research reports I read years ago.