onbz

swann or samsung security system?

looking at the Samsung 16 channel security system model #sds-p5100n/us or possible the swann swdvk-164008-us. Samsung has allways been top notch with electronics . but it could just be a fluke>>> anyways looking around 900 to 1200 range.Otr are both of these systems junk...thanks in advance.

I am rather new to this forum but I can see a common misconception already. One can not just go out and buy a camera system, off the shelf, and expect it to perform the way it is advertised. If you are serious about installing a camera system, the first thing you have to ask your self is why. What is the intemtion of the system or what do you expect it to do for you.

Forget about a deterence factor. Ok, I just pissed of everyone including the manufacturers. But this is a true hard fact. The industry does not know why either. Where I live in Texas, every convenience store is required to have some type of sureillance system. Statistically, the numbers on crime are still on the rise. It's a phenomenom that is not talked about. It is also the same with businesses and residences.

So that leaves identification, notification and analytics. If you just want to be notified that some particular movement is taking place in a particular area then these systems may work for you. However, if you want identification, you need to know hat all these acronyms and terms mean. For example, a "day/night camera" vs. "a true day/night camera" and so on and so on. Your fild of view, or what the camera sees will also have various distances creating zones of what thwy can accomplish. For example, facial recognition will only work up to a crtain difference, then you can determine maybe a person up to a certain point, and then maybe just movement. There are many variables.

Finally, look for a five year warranty on the camera and a three year on the DVR from the manufacturer that you know. Anything less, and those little LEDS that are providing light at night will burn out faster than a Christmas tree.

cool thanks for the info ,but still looking for maybe someone that might have either of these units or know about them that's why I put up the model number ..again any info is great. I don't need a bunch of info just some general misc. would be great. also thanks for the reply I am on many fourms ,truck,boat,travel,and so on any this forum is pretty bad when it comes to reply's , the point is for people to reply not just sit in the background and read post. I think I have like 50/60 looks at this post and only one reply...so thanks for anyone that puts forward the effort to actually help out.

Me too. I mainly subscribe to sites for hobbies I have. Giving is just as important.

Here goes: Swann is low end and Samsung has some good products but this is not one of them. It is a fixed focal length camera and is recorded in the lowest quality. Although it can detect out to 82 feet with the IR, that is just detection. You will not know what our who it is and do to the recording quality you won't be able to enhance the picture to tell.

Send me an email and I will try to help you out. I install cmeas professionally and think I got on the wrong forum site. I don't think I have long after slamming Swann. lol