dvarapala

Is There Such a Thing...

When your pros do an installation like this one:

224551_1.jpg

is there such a thing as a cat5e punchdown - RJ45 jack that mounts inside of that single-gang weatherproof electrical box? Or do you guys just use a punchdown keystone jack 224551_2.jpg and let it hang loose inside the box?

Put the keystone in the gang box or just run the cable directly into the camera.

Just hanging loose from the Ethernet cables?

The reason I ask is I'm planning to have an electrician run some conduit outdoors and I'm thinking I should have him leave a weatherproof single-gang box for each camera; After he does the hard part I'll take care of the last foot between the box and the camera with seal-tite. I just need to know what to ask for/expect him to put into each of the boxes. What's the standard practice for this sort of thing?

The cable I plan to use is direct-burial cat5e which is too thick for the regular crimp-on RJ-45 connectors, so a keystone jack or similar type of small punchdown jack is the only option.

I use a lot of outdoor rated and shielded cable with RJ-45 ends termed on them. You have to get the correct connectors for the cable you plan to use but it does work. I know some people think this is not correct and you should always use a jack. My school of thought is the less connections the better and you can always make the wire shorter if you need to down the road.

Plus I find it much easier on a ladder to term a RJ-45 then punch down a keystone type jack.

If you want to mount the keystone to the wall, you could use a small piece of double sided tack tape. But I do agree, I have always found it easier to put an RJ45 end on the cable then punch down into these jacks.

Skip the junction box. Direct wire to camera.

Cheaper

Easier

Plus you will have a longer wire for future service / adjustments.

Why attach it at all... Where is it going to go?

I duhnno - just seems more "professional" to have it mounted. But you're right, there's not going to be any stress or strain on it, so hanging loose will work fine.

Would you care to share your source for those "jumbo-size" RJ-45 crimp connectors that will work with shielded/direct burial cat5e?

I agree avoiding extra connections is always good, and as far as it looking good as long as the closed up junction looks good you are good to go

Personally I would feel better attaching it to the wall somehow but that is just me, like I suggested can be accomplished with either screws to the brick or double sided tack tape, the only problem I have had is when the tack tape gets really hot it tends to let go.