vector18

2mp IP ptz over wifi

Ak is right an AP on your building is a much more reliable option and WAN speed test is not a proper speed test for a wireless link. Try running running a network speed test program like jperf to see the real bandwidth that you have available

If you want to stress the link a little switch your camera to MJPEG mode and max out the bandwidth.

Question are you using the router for your home wireless AP or is this dedicated to the remote AP?

Currently, I have the router as my personal internet source. My apt is concrete so I have an AP in my kids room for their ipad,iphones, and xbox. I am not allowed to mount anything on my building, so my only option would be another

high powered AP set to repeater and pointed directly to the house down the block thru a window.

Well, considering, I do not have an issue with the camera right now, I might hold off on the AP in the building. But what are the disadvantages I have right now by not having a stronger signal? I haven't had any connection issues, picture quality is just fine, and ptz control is as normal.

So, I installed another engenius ens500 in my apt and pointed it to the garage. I set both units as WDS and entered the macs of each unit in each other. So, now they are point to point rather than AP and bridge. My signal strength is now -64db which is better than I had and the PTZ commands work flawless without a delay at all while on internal network. When on the Iphone and sub stream set as CIF, the PTZ commands are instant as well. If on a PC remotely and sub stream is set as D1, commands are instant, but if on Main Stream, there is about a 4 second delay. I was told for a 2mp PTZ, I would need roughly 8mpbs upload speed on my ISP and I only have 5mbps though.

Ideally you want to make sure you wifi signal strength is above -65dB (closer to zero is stronger) so that you have enough fade margin to deal with weather and other interference.

Not sure if I updated here, but I have installed a AP in my window facing the garage and I'm getting -64db's now. The image

and ptz control work flawless. I have to keep the sub stream at cif otherwise my iphone lags way too much for ptz control though.

Otherwise, I am extremely happy with this camera and it's functionality.

They are parked illegally right in front of my friends garage, and it was supposed to be a funny title. I didn't think someone would take it so seriously.

This looks like a really nice camera. I would love one like that. How do you get the ptz controls to work on your smart phone Vector18?

Hello,

I'm late to the party but just wanna say, nice job.

The pic from the camera looks great and nice job on using the wifi bridge.

I've used wireless bridges on school campuses for still cameras with good results but never further than 100 feet or so.

How has it held up over time so far?