voxerox

Sustainable Portable Power and Extremely Low Power CCTV

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. At the present moment I’m facing some challenges pertaining to deploying CCTV off site (with no permanent power grid supply ) :

Problem 1

Sustainable Portable Power – For off-site CCTV systems such as PCZ, I need to install CCTV camera system (1 to 2 cameras connected to a recorder and network equipment) at locations with no permanent grid power supply. To power such system using conventional battery, we need man power to change the battery every 1-2 days. This is too resource consuming and costly.

I realise another way is to make use of rather sustainable power source such as fuel cell. An example is Methanol fuel cell, whereby the fuel cell is used to charge the battery supplying power to the CCTV system. We only need to refill the methanol of the fuel cell every 1 month.

However Methanol has it’s shortcoming – it is extremely flammable and thus will pose risk if deployed on the road side or in pavement walkways.

Thus, I would like to seek your advice and guidance if there is any similar portable power supply which requires man power to attend to this power supply once a month, or even longer duration?

Problem 2

Extremely Low Power Consumption CCTV System – As portable power is always an issue with off-site CCTV systems with no permanent power, is there any CCTV System which requires extremely low power, such that it can be powered by batteries over an extended period of time (1 month with no man power intervention). A typical CCTV System would consist of:

i. HD PTZ Camera x 1 to 2 pics

ii. Recorder

iii. 3G/4G Router

iv. POE switch

I’ve seen some CCTV system running on 36 Watts/hr. This is the system which is running on battery, where the battery is charged by Methanol fuel cell. However as addressed in problem 1, methanol fuel might not be the best option.

I hope you can provide me your advice. Thank you and greatly appreciated.

Good luck powering all that gear without spending a small fortune on the equipment to keep it powered, why not get a diesel generator and a huge fuel tank?

Could you use some type of solar charger/controller to charge a deep cycle battery or a sealed lead acid battery?

I think it is pretty tough..Solar charger has low efficiency so charging battery is bit difficult..

Hi,

I’m new to this forum. At the present moment I’m facing some challenges pertaining to deploying CCTV off site (with no permanent power grid supply ) :

Problem 1

Sustainable Portable Power – For off-site CCTV systems such as PCZ, I need to install CCTV camera system (1 to 2 cameras connected to a recorder and network equipment) at locations with no permanent grid power supply. To power such system using conventional battery, we need man power to change the battery every 1-2 days. This is too resource consuming and costly.

I realise another way is to make use of rather sustainable power source such as fuel cell. An example is Methanol fuel cell, whereby the fuel cell is used to charge the battery supplying power to the CCTV system. We only need to refill the methanol of the fuel cell every 1 month.

However Methanol has it’s shortcoming – it is extremely flammable and thus will pose risk if deployed on the road side or in pavement walkways.

Thus, I would like to seek your advice and guidance if there is any similar portable power supply which requires man power to attend to this power supply once a month, or even longer duration?

Problem 2

Extremely Low Power Consumption CCTV System – As portable power is always an issue with off-site CCTV systems with no permanent power, is there any CCTV System which requires extremely low power, such that it can be powered by batteries over an extended period of time (1 month with no man power intervention). A typical CCTV System would consist of:

ii. Recorder

iii. 3G/4G Router

iv. POE switch

I’ve seen some CCTV system running on 36 Watts/hr. This is the system which is running on battery, where the battery is charged by Methanol fuel cell. However as addressed in problem 1, methanol fuel might not be the best option.

I hope you can provide me your advice. Thank you and greatly appreciated.

No problem

Depending on the site location, a combination of solar + wind turbine + batteries and careful selection of kit will do this.

Ilkie

ii. Recorder

iii. 3G/4G Router

iv. POE switch

Solar & wind with batteries for night and still days.

BTW, your kit list has far too many components.

PTZ with in built recording.

3G routers - see TP link products. - come with wifi too, so build a mesh network.