dano97471

Simultaneous live viewing

Hi All, I've been been reading all the good information posted on this forum for several months now. I'm just now starting to wire my house (new construction) with Cat6, HDMI and VGA cables.

What I want to do is from the DVR run the HDMI cable to one TV in the living room and the VGA cable to the bedroom TV.

My question is: Will I be able to view in live mode on both TVs at the same time via the HDMI and VGA connections?

Thanks for your help.

Probably not but it will depend on the DVR. Mosy give one or the other.

The best way is to split the HDMI output. Like a 1x2 or 1x4 HDMI splitter. So come out of the DVR to the splitter then transmit using baluns on the cat6 and back into the TV on a separate input.

Probably not but it will depend on the DVR. Mosy give one or the other.

The best way is to split the HDMI output. Like a 1x2 or 1x4 HDMI splitter. So come out of the DVR to the splitter then transmit using baluns on the cat6 and back into the TV on a separate input.

I thought of using a splitter but wanted to use a more direct connection. Right now I have 50 ft of HDMI and 25 ft of VGA class 2 cable strung (drywall not up yet). I haven't bought the DVR yet, I was looking at a 16 ch Hybrid from Empire Security Cameras for under $400 and a newly added Q-See package from Costco. The Costco one is a 960H version QT5516. It comes with 12 700tvl cameras for under $600.

I'll do a little more research on both and see if either allow for simultaneous live viewing. If anyone has experience with either DVR I would appreciate any feed back.

I should have said that there are DVRs that will do that through a matrix video output. But they will start at about 1700.00 and will have two HDMI's or more.

A good video splitter is your best choice if you are in the wiring phase. If you run the HDMI and/or the VGA you will alsways be limited to that wire in that exact location. We run everything from the head end or hoime run location in a star topography. Get some cat6 and run it to all the possible locations. Put the cables on the Bay.

I also only run cat6 to all camera locations also.

Gefen makes a good HDMI spliter 1x3 for about 250.00. I cringe when I hear Costco but I probably shouldn't. The market is changing so fast. It is definitly moving to IP megapixel cameras and I see the only way to do this for residential use will be large, on board storge cards out "at the edge" as they say.

Dontheo:[/size] Regarding Costco and Q-see...My better judgement is telling me not to expect too much and go with something else. But there is so many different DVRs out there and of course each dealer say they have the best. I can always take it back to Costco if I'm not satisfied.

The Gefen splitter is more then I want to spend right now. Monoprice carries a splitter that looks like it might do the trick.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2#description 

Taking your suggestion using a splitter...looks like I could ditch the VGA and use the Monoprice splitter at the DVR and run HDMI to both TVs.

I'm new to all this and will start out at least for the next few years with an analog system. I've run Cat6 to several places for cameras now and the future.

lowpro:[/size] I like your idea of running Cat6 for the IR repeater and will do it.

Thank you both for taking time to help me.

I install professionally so I know how confused everyone is. I also buy direct from China for some of my product. The exact camera here, from one of my distributors will cost 400 dollars and I can buy it for 24.00.

However we do use Axis and Vivotek and buy that here.

Here's my rules I tell my employees. Wire is cheap. Pull a cat5 or 6 hen in doubt and pull it everywhere.

Map it and label it.

As a rule, cameras should have a 5 year warranty and a DVR a 3.

Check out www.apexcctv.com. Plus they have a ton of tutorials. GEOVISION is not bad.

If you go analog, you're going to be left wanting more. We all started there. Save up and go megapixel. It's great that you have the time available to be able to run the wires before the walls are finished.

Update ... I bought the Costco Q-See system and ended up taking it back, the 700tvl cameras were lousy. I did buy a DVR Hybrid from Empire. After attaching both an HDMI and VGA cable simultaneous from the HVR to two different LED TVs I was able to view and control all function of the HVR. Added bonus was that I was able to use a wireless mouse...I couldn't do that with the Q-See.