Sign in to follow this  
chucky

Mobotics Cameras Compatible with 3rd Party NVR System

Is it possible to add a couple of Mobotic D15 cameras to a typical NVR 4 camera system? I purchased the Qsee 4 camera NVR system from Costco and I am now considering adding a couple Mobotics cameras. I was not sure if I could live view all 6 cameras through the mobotics user interface. Your help and comments would be appreciated.

Thank You

Chucky

When you buy an NVR for specific cameras like Q-See, there's little chance that other brands of cameras will work properly, even if they are listed. For example, I tried Axis on that NVR which it says it supports and it did record, but had no even processing, meaning it only recorded 24/7, not on motion events. Maybe they made improvements since, but still, if you want an NVR that supports many cameras consider NUUO, Synology, QNAP that are not from a camera company so they tend to support a larger variety of camera brands or go with NVR software that is generally more flexible, even BlueIris on the lower end support many camera brands.

When you buy an NVR for specific cameras like Q-See, there's little chance that other brands of cameras will work properly, even if they are listed. For example, I tried Axis on that NVR which it says it supports and it did record, but had no even processing, meaning it only recorded 24/7, not on motion events. Maybe they made improvements since, but still, if you want an NVR that supports many cameras consider NUUO, Synology, QNAP that are not from a camera company so they tend to support a larger variety of camera brands or go with NVR software that is generally more flexible, even BlueIris on the lower end support many camera brands.

buellwinkle Sir:

Always appreciate your assistance and response.

I guess I was not detailed enough on my original question and maybe need to ask the same or similar question in reverse. I really do not care if the QSee cameras actually record but I do need them for live viewing. So can the software that can be downloaded from Mobotics MXViewer allow me to view the 2 Mobotics cameras and also the Qsee cameras on the same screen? Or would Blue Iris support both styles, brands of cameras for viewing? I can easily ditch the NVR and move on but I wanted to utilize the QSee cameras if possible.

Thank You

Chucky

One option would be to use milestone Xprotect Go (free) or essentials (small cost) and use that to record and manage the Mobotix and the Qsee models. The qsee should be able to be used as a standard Onvif camera under milestone. You can then use the mobile app to view all of the cameras together. If you want simpler then I second the Qnap options.

buellwinkle Sir:

I guess I was not detailed enough on my original question and maybe need to ask the same or similar question in reverse. I really do not care if the QSee cameras actually record but I do need them for live viewing. So can the software that can be downloaded from Mobotics MXViewer allow me to view the 2 Mobotics cameras and also the Qsee cameras on the same screen? Or would Blue Iris support both styles, brands of cameras for viewing? I can easily ditch the NVR and move on but I wanted to utilize the QSee cameras if possible.

Thank You

Chucky

Blue Iris supports a pretty huge range of cameras. They have a 15 day demo download that has full functionality except for direct to disk recording, and it puts a watermark on the video. It's really quite powerful and flexible if you don't need stuff like missing object detect, POS monitoring, and such.

One option would be to use milestone Xprotect Go (free) or essentials (small cost) and use that to record and manage the Mobotix and the Qsee models. The qsee should be able to be used as a standard Onvif camera under milestone. You can then use the mobile app to view all of the cameras together. If you want simpler then I second the Qnap options.

buellwinkle Sir:

Thank You

Chucky

Is there any estimate on how much CPU usage and resources would be required using milestone Xprotect Go utilizing the 4 Qsee cameras and the 2 Mobotics cameras? Trying to determine what level of PC would be required for live viewing since the Mobotics would be used as a typical IP camera and not their intended decentralized concept.

Thank You

Chucky

I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you, thought I did. I did test Mobotix MXControlStation for you as it does support 3rd party cameras, but unfortunately, for what they call "generic cameras" it only supports ones with mjpeg streams, not h.264 and the Q-See does not have an support for mjpeg streaming.

So if it's just for viewing and you have a television to view it on, here's the cheapest easiest thing to do. Get an Android miniPC like the UG802 (I did a review on this a while a go). It has HDMI out so you plug it into a TV and run an app like IP Cam Viewer that displays from many different camera brands. Cost under $50 and is very tiny, sits behind your TV and your TV can power it if it has a USB port.

Software like BlueIris, Axxon, XProtect Go and such really don't use a lot of CPU if you are not doing motion detection and recording so you can get by with a pretty cheap PC, maybe even an Atom processor nettop for just 4 cameras. For example, I have an old fist generation i3 and I can display 8 cameras on BlueIris without no motion detection or recording and CPU use may be 20%.

If you really want to get clever, BlueIris has a feature where it can re-stream video to RTMP protocol or you can use Unreal Media Server to do the same (free for 5 cameras I believe) which I did in a write-up for on my blog. What this allows you to do is write a webpage with the video embedded in the webpage. You don't even need a web server, you can just write the HTML page and double click on it and open it up in just about any browser and see all 4 cameras. Put it on a real website and you can see the video anywhere in the world you have internet access.

So 3 totally unrelated very different solutions to the same problem. Hope one of them suits you.