Sign in to follow this  
trixaz

Need HELP looking for outdoor camera

Hello,

i have an outdoor area about 1400sqm and looking for a camera with motion detect. The area is rectangle shape, so it is about 70 meters length and 20 meters width. One company is offering me Mobotix M24 with 180degrees view, so I want to ask you. Is this the best choice for my option? Or maybe you have other suggestions? Also I found this logitech camera http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/alert750e-outdoor-master-system what do you think about it? I could use 4 of them instead of one Mobotix? Which option is better? Thank you.

Mobotix is one of the better brands, BUT, the M24 is a day or night camera, not both, meaning you can spec it for day only with a 3.1MP sensor or night only with a 1.22MP sensor. To get both day and night you need the M15 (don't know if it' released yet, otherwise the M14). Again, top cameras, we use them, but they M15 is going to run $1,500ish, not cheap, but possibly worth it. The other problem is putting a lens that's 180 degrees (their 11mm) lens) means you will only be able to say ID someone at about 3-4 meters with 3MP. Lenses are not field upgradable, meaning you have to ship the camera back to the manufacturer and pay a bunch to change the lens, one reason most people buy the D14/D15 which is a dome but the lenses are changeable and price is about the same.

Which brings is to your goals, what are you trying to do? Do you want to be able to ID someone at 70 meters or just know there's a person there? Is the field well lit at night or totally dark? Is this day use only or do you intend to use the cameras at night.

I would not go with Logitech as they are not a commercial player in this space and there are better choices for the money. Also, not sure if you realize that Mobotix provides the NVR solution in camera, saving you from having to get an NVR or NVR software like with most other brands. So you say 4 Logitechs to one Mobotix, but actually they price in the end may be equal.

It is all about what kind of performance you expect. Monitoring for activity, people recognition and the actually identifying the person. If you go to the Mobotix web site they have a lot of tool where you can put in your parameters of the area to be viewed and what you will be able to actually see.

You can play around with the lens selection there too.

I've been happy with the ACTI E73, which is less expensive than Mobitix and Axis equivalents.