silentfarmers

Need help with a massive project....

Hi all first post, I'm looking to invest some money in CCTV for some fields. I can get power supply for the cameras in a few places but I'd have a problem with any BNC/Coax or Ethernet cable running as long as i need.

I need cameras all over the place I've marked up 15 spots to place some. I want ones that are fixed view (no zoom or rotation). I'm hoping it's possible to have them go wireless but one camera is about 180~ meters away from where I'd want my DVR unit.

Kinda flexible on the budget but wouldn't want to go more than £100 per camera if possible really can anyone help me with the best solution for this please?

With such a large project and not a lot of experience I would go to some place that can help you with the design and support. The higher end companies won't help yp much because the are selling to dealers like me and want you to know it or go to their training.

I would go to www.apexcctv.com These guys seem to sell a good product and have a ton of how to videos.

I have had rxcellent luck with wireless assumiing direct line of sight and not using the cheap type built in to the camera.

Check those guys out, or at least their videos.

If you are going wireless you really need to go with good wireless gear and get a camera that is outputting BNC and convert this to wireless.

However I don't think you will accomplish to much with 100$ a camera.

Where are you located?

If you are going wireless you really need to go with good wireless gear and get a camera that is outputting BNC and convert this to wireless.

Where are you located?

not $100, its £100 each camera for my budget.

I'm in UK. I originally thought BNC -> Wireless However im not as savi with it as I'd like to be ideally. Also a IT Tech i know told me that the quality of BNC is horrid I'd be after ... not so much picture perfect just a respectable quality would be nice though.

Where are you located?

I'm in UK. I originally thought BNC -> Wireless However im not as savi with it as I'd like to be ideally. Also a IT Tech i know told me that the quality of BNC is horrid I'd be after ... not so much picture perfect just a respectable quality would be nice though.

BNC is horrid? Its no IP 5MP image but if you get a half decent camera connected you can get good results. BNC is the connection method, like VGA.

So that is like saying VGA is horrid, well no while it may be no HDMI I would not say it is horrid.

Where are you located?

BNC is horrid? Its no IP 5MP image but if you get a half decent camera connected you can get good results. BNC is the connection method, like VGA.

So that is like saying VGA is horrid, well no while it may be no HDMI I would not say it is horrid.

Well this pleases me.

I was looking at an option of a BNC/Coax cam connecting into one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360637328599

If I then swap the antenna for better ones, and also find a way around the fact there is only 4 channelsl; this could prove to be a way forward if I'm correct?

OK, let's step back a notch and look at the details. Now I am not familiar with the UK at all, but can you utilize google maps or something equal?

Make a map of the cameras you would need. You may be able to group cameras that are close together and send multiple cameras over a single wireless connection. This way you can purchase cost effective equipment and then spend a little more money on a few links to connect the data together. A great point to point wireless company is MikroTik routers and they are an international company.

Now as for the cost you are definitly going to have to raise the bar a bit if you are talking wireless.

Also you can run coaxale cable for a longer distance I believe up to 1,100 feet in some instances with RG6 or RG11 cable so this means your 180 meters would be no problem. You can also put BNC connectors onto these cables.

So if you are trying to do it on the cheap I would say get direct burial rated RG6 cable, slap some BNC connectors on them, pick up a worker from the outside of home depot, have him dig a trench around your Marijuana fields for the cables, also keep in mind that some equipment has the capability of sending power over the coax cable as well.

Also think about connecting multiple DVR's together as some have this capability, this could allow you to group cameras better... possibly.

FYI, I have used converters to transfer ethernet to coax and ran it over 300 meters, transferred it back to ethernet, ran a 5mp camera on it, and it works great. Don't believe this 150 feet to 200 feet limitations on coax.

OK, let's step back a notch and look at the details. Now I am not familiar with the UK at all, but can you utilize google maps or something equal?

Make a map of the cameras you would need. You may be able to group cameras that are close together and send multiple cameras over a single wireless connection. This way you can purchase cost effective equipment and then spend a little more money on a few links to connect the data together. A great point to point wireless company is MikroTik routers and they are an international company.

Now as for the cost you are definitly going to have to raise the bar a bit if you are talking wireless.

Also you can run coaxale cable for a longer distance I believe up to 1,100 feet in some instances with RG6 or RG11 cable so this means your 180 meters would be no problem. You can also put BNC connectors onto these cables.

So if you are trying to do it on the cheap I would say get direct burial rated RG6 cable, slap some BNC connectors on them, pick up a worker from the outside of home depot, have him dig a trench around your Marijuana fields for the cables, also keep in mind that some equipment has the capability of sending power over the coax cable as well.

Also think about connecting multiple DVR's together as some have this capability, this could allow you to group cameras better... possibly.

FYI, I have used converters to transfer ethernet to coax and ran it over 300 meters, transferred it back to ethernet, ran a 5mp camera on it, and it works great. Don't believe this 150 feet to 200 feet limitations on coax.

I would not suggest to push coax out to 1100FT not without a repeater. I believe what you are talking about is you used baluns to send the signal over ethernet, in which case passive you can usually go about 1000-1500 feet depending on the brand and I know guys who have sent signals 2KM over active to active.

If you do go wireless be prepared to spend several hundred on your wireless bridge, don't fall for this 50$ ebay crap.

first of all, where in the UK are you located? s this forum has a few engineers from the UK on it (including myself)

secondly, you get what you pay for! it seems to me like you're going to be looking at at least £300 per wireless bridge! and with 15 cameras, that's not going to be cheap!

don't forget though, you can get bridges that can do up to four cameras at a time, so as others have said, if you could get wired video connections from four cameras close together to a single point, you would save on the cost of three wireless bridges!

stay away from that ebay stuff you posted. that'll cause you nothing but problems. by 'four channel' it means it has four different wireless ranges that can be selected on installation to avoid interference, it doesn't mean it can send four lots of video at once, plus, if you use these, you'll only be able to have 4 cameras wireless before you start getting interference from the others!

how close are the cameras to each other? as it may be more cost effective to have the DVR out with the cameras in an IP rated box, and then all you'd need is one wireless network bridge which would be a far cheaper way of doing things!

as others have said, a google maps screenshot with drawings of where the cameras will be would be useful!

Do you want detection or identification?

For detection you could just set up a couple of wireless cams and then go onsite and download from the other cams for identification. There are some pretty good and relatively inexpensive hunting cams on the market.

Just a thought...