toolman67

imaginative ways to hide a DVR , WHATS YOURS ????

I have hidden Dvr's behind the viewing monitor,

also hidden Dvr's inside a OLD CPU Box,

inside an old Tv cabinet , behind a wall clock

WHATS YOUR MOST IMAGINATIVE WAY TO CONCEAL A DVR FROM SNATCH N GRAB OR THEFT ??

use yure imagination ,OR give us case examples ....

regds Toolman67

If the place has a 19" rack system I like my DVRs to go in there as they just look like another computer server

(which nowadays is just what they are) but genrally I hide them in a store room in a steel lockbox.

I can't offer any creative thought on the subject since I am not that worried about hiding the DVR,

I am more concerned with protecting the hard disk from damage. Let them chop the cables let them

tear the cameras down, so long as they hurt anybody and don't destroy evidence I am happy to return

and rewire the cameras and DVR.

I never thought of it as hiding the DVR but thats one way of protecting it I suppose.

its about time that bloody DVR manufacturers made them in WALL MOUNTED BOXES! like intruder alarms and fire alarms and other such security equipment, especially the high end ones - having sometimes up to 40 cables terminating to the back of a 'set top box' is horrible!

sir

some of the newer models do come with a wall mounting fitting so the DVR can be wall mounted , if not , as I have been doing I attach Photo frame hooks/mounts to the dvr and set it up onto the wall , it all depends on the availability of space , and type of installation.

regds Toolman67

sir

some of the newer models do come with a wall mounting fitting so the DVR can be wall mounted , if not , as I have been doing I attach Photo frame hooks/mounts to the dvr and set it up onto the wall , it all depends on the availability of space , and type of installation.

regds Toolman67

iknow, and i often wall mount DVRs too. but that doesn't change the fact that the connections are exposed!

i'd like just a plain box on a wall, with a bunch of cables going into it, which are then terminated on the inside of the box! no connections visible from the outside!

Connections from the outside are easier to install though no?

Plus if you put DVR in secure room you shouldn't have to worry so much.

sir

regds Toolman67

iknow, and i often wall mount DVRs too. but that doesn't change the fact that the connections are exposed!

i'd like just a plain box on a wall, with a bunch of cables going into it, which are then terminated on the inside of the box! no connections visible from the outside!

Connections from the outside are easier to install though no?

Plus if you put DVR in secure room you shouldn't have to worry so much.

sir

regds Toolman67

it shouldn't be about what's easier to install. the install takes what? a day or two? and then the system is in for years and years! i'd rather do a proper install and it take a little more effort, instead of doing a half arsed install and it looking cr@p for the years to come...

but i find it a lot easier to make installs look neat when terminating cables into wall mounted boxes rather than desktop DVRs anyway.

You right...

I meant not just easier to install....

I meant surface mounting wire is easier for service.

But I agree... Wiring in wall is probably more secure from tampering and damage...

it shouldn't be about what's easier to install. the install takes what? a day or two? and then the system is in for years and years! i'd rather do a proper install and it take a little more effort, instead of doing a half arsed install and it looking cr@p for the years to come...

but i find it a lot easier to make installs look neat when terminating cables into wall mounted boxes rather than desktop DVRs anyway.

hello , a little help and ideas required ..

the brief is .....

A 8CH DVR (X) connected to 4 cams with Lan and IP, dyndns etc , we want to connect another 4CH DVR (Y) to the above ....but it is about 200 mtrs away , and not in line of sight, cannot throw a cable as the blocks are at right angles to each other over public roads ..

is there some way to connect DVR (X) TO DVR (Y) through wi fi ?

MY IDEA was to connect LAN PORT of DVR (Y) to a WIFI access point and have that access point connect to the LAN of DVR(X) and hence connect all the channels together ..??

any other possibility ? would like to have some ideas feedback if any has had such a situation and resolved the same ?

regd Toolman67

hello , a little help and ideas required ..

the brief is .....

A 8CH DVR (X) connected to 4 cams with Lan and IP, dyndns etc , we want to connect another 4CH DVR (Y) to the above ....but it is about 200 mtrs away , and not in line of sight, cannot throw a cable as the blocks are at right angles to each other over public roads ..

is there some way to connect DVR (X) TO DVR (Y) through wi fi ?

MY IDEA was to connect LAN PORT of DVR (Y) to a WIFI access point and have that access point connect to the LAN of DVR(X) and hence connect all the channels together ..??

any other possibility ? would like to have some ideas feedback if any has had such a situation and resolved the same ?

regd Toolman67

i'd go with a hybrid 8 channel NVR that has at least 4 analogue camera inputs. (so you can have 4 analogue cams and 4 IP cams)

and then on the other building, either use four IP cameras, or four analogue cameras connected to an encoder, and then connect them to a wireless network bridge connected to the NVR.