Sign in to follow this  
Nola26

Portable PTZ Camera

I am looking for a surveillance solution for a specific need for our SWAT team. I am looking for a PTZ camera that I can mount to a tripod for rapid deployment in a variety of situations. I want to be able to view the camera wirelessly on an iPad or other tablet and in a command center. I was thinking of maybe a cellular data card with a static IP or maybe a wifi signal but the wifi option may be hard to view if the range is too far.

Any one have any ideas on how I can do this?

How will you power it? I've played with the new Axis 50 series PTZs but they only have digital zoom (they're light and tiny as hell though). They sell an armoured (bx-style) Cat5 cable - that would allow you to roll it out from a spool and have guaranteed power and signal.

Without a couple of scenarios/applicatioons i'm just spit-balling.

I was thinking of either a battery pack but a long run of POE Cat5 cable could probably work. What is the input voltage of the camera?

I would give specifics of the deployment but there are none as each incident is different but a general scenario would be:

Suspect barricaded in house, shield team deploys tripod and camera on corner of house and retreats. Now negotiators in the command center have real time eyes on the house and no SWAT officers are exposed to keep a visual on the house.

I was also looking for multiple cameras...maybe up to 4.

You have lots of options and anything is possible.

Do you have a budget in mind for this system?

Is super low light important?

How much run time do you need?

Is weight an issue?

Weight is somewhat of an issue as it would need to be carried by a person. I was looking for a few hours of runtime but going with a long run of POE Cat5 should solve that problem. I was looking for something reasonably priced, maybe like $500-$1000, because we don't have a budget and we would need to look for donations or dues that the SWAT members pay monthly for the money to buy the cameras.