Sign in to follow this  
mshaffer

Cany you put a SLR or bigger lens on an IP camera?

Does anyone know if it's possible to put a bigger lens, like one from an SLR, etc on a cs-mount IP camera? I wanted to get more light and better picture quality.

Yes, it is very specialized. Usually above 10 mega pixel and are used to supplement other cameras as the resolution can get so high you will get 3-4 frames per second.

Try the Pelco website. I think they make one.

Here are 35mm to C mount adapters:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/microscopy/relay-lenses-couplers/c-mount-camera-lens-adapters/1459

You need a long adapter, as the lens back focal distance is quite a bit longer on 35mm cameras than the C or CS mount lenses. I don't see any CS mount adapters, for whatever reason. Since this essentially turns the 35mm lens into a C mount lens, you could add a C to CS adapter, and would be good to go, in theory.

You might have better luck with a good brand lens for a larger sensor. That is, if you're using 1/3" lenses, look for 1/2" or 2/3" lenses, made by fujinon and other good quality manufacturers. Since the center of the lens is generally higher quality than the edges, you get better images, as the image circle is much bigger than the sensor.

This also gives a different focal length equivalent. Since you only capture part of the lens image, your effective focal length is shorter than the focal length you'd get using it with the size sensor it's designed for. The same would be true of a 35mm lens, since the 35mm frame is much larger than your sensor.

Where does one buy a Avigilon JPEG2000? Also whats the running price for one of these? Can't seem to find the price let alone one for sale.

Where does one buy a Avigilon JPEG2000? Also whats the running price for one of these? Can't seem to find the price let alone one for sale.

How many MP are u looking for ?

The PRO cameras range in price from $5k to $10k depending on the model. That does not include the lens.

Lol! I'm guessing this is not the type of solution OP had in mind.

I'll buy some when I win the lottery, though.