lamsao

Lorex 8-channel NVR with 6 1080p cams @Costco for $999.99

ordered one to play with, have a box full of dahua and swann cameras at home, and a few others, no idea what i'll do with so many hah.

i've all but abandoned my dahua because hikvision seems to give so much more support, even if it is indirectly, their updates and software are easy to obtain

If only it had an alarm in/out block. Sigh. Deal breaker. Someday that nvr will be in a package, I just know it.

Yeah, that is my only gripe about this deal. But for the price it is like I get the NVR for free. I hope that the motion detection on the NVR works fine so that there is no need for alarm inputs.

Sure wish that Costco would offer a 16 channel model with similar pricing.

Thank You

Chucky

i ordered this last Friday when it was still $1299, but got credited for the difference when I saw that it went on sale on Monday

I ordered the Costco Swann NVR+4 bullet bundle a week earlier and have that sitting in the garage. The Lorex arrives Friday so I get to play with the both of them and decide which one to keep (and replace my Logitech Alert system)

I would love to know what the Lorex software is like.

I am too committed to the Swann now to pull down the cameras, which are great (I ordered another 2-pack). The Swann NVR seems ok but I don't care much for the software(s).

I would not like to give up the alarm inputs and it seems like an unnecessary dilemma. I can't imagine having fewer than 6 cameras anymore for a single family dwelling with detached garage (and I started out looking for two!).

Down the road, I might be a candidate for the Hik flash of the NVR at the least.

On a side note, yesterday I was messing with live view and the camera angles. When I came back in the house, I saw a pesky California ground squirrel that I have been stalking for some time scurrying back behind the house (cam 1) to the garage, which he has been busy undermining. I was able to sneak back out and get him with my air rifle. The whole thing was caught on video, but was erased when we reformatted the hdd. Perhaps just as well for the faint of heart, but I thought it was cool. My first cctv perp!

I actually found him with the virtual zoom option, after noting movement in the distance. This told me exactly where the wary little bugger would be as I rounded the garage corner. I don't know how many more are living there but at least there is one less.

I have a lot to learn about recording options, and local vs. remote storage options.

Does anyone know if SWANN has a firmware update yet for this NVR system? the NVR8-7200 with the 4 bullets at 1080p?

ALso i wonder if the lorex dome cameras would work plug in play with my swann kit since Swann does not yet have dome 1080p's that are IP based.

Edited by Guest

Those cameras and domes are different than the previous model. They have a foam ring around the lens, im assuming to stop ir light bleed

I wanted domes in the first place, this might just make up for it. It might be time to take the swann back.

Edited by Guest

Does anyone know if SWANN has a firmware update yet for this NVR system? the NVR8-7200 with the 4 bullets at 1080p?

ALso i wonder if the lorex dome cameras would work plug in play with my swann kit since Swann does not yet have dome 1080p's that are IP based.

They do its on their ftp. And Swanns Domes are in the works.

But Ive been seriously considering acti, sure it cost more money but I need more cameras as well, and we limited to 8 with this thing.

Edited by Guest

Well, couldn't resist. I'm not far enough along in my noob testing of 2 Swann 1080ps with Blue Iris to know whether 6 more is a good idea, but Costco has a 90 day return policy. Figure I'll continue my Swann testing and if I like em, I'll keep it and if I don't I can return it unopened.

I'm using Blue Iris so Lorex/Swann NVR compatibility isn't a requirement.

But Ive been seriously considering acti, sure it cost more money but I need more cameras as well, and we limited to 8 with this thing.

Can someone forward me the link to their FTP please? I have been running their MARCH firmware release and not sure if they had released any new update.

THANK YOU!

Interesting that they picture the cameras with a male jack on the end. I'm guessing that's just staged to let you know it's a network camera.

Anyone that gets this package, could you PLEASE post some pics of the dome in total darkness outside so we can see how the IR is doing? I'd like to see the IR wash and if IR bleed has been fixed. Even if you just hold the thing out a window- anything to show how the IR is doing on those domes.

Can someone forward me the link to their FTP please? I have been running their MARCH firmware release and not sure if they had released any new update.

THANK YOU!

http://swann.com/downloads/drivers/nvr8-7200/

Im going to warn you right now. DO NOT FLASH THAT WITH OUT CALLING SWANN FIRST.

You will need to schedule a call with teir II support to have them call you back. Tell them you want to flash the firmware on their website for the nvr8-7200.

You have been warned!

Interesting that they picture the cameras with a male jack on the end. I'm guessing that's just staged to let you know it's a network camera.

Anyone that gets this package, could you PLEASE post some pics of the dome in total darkness outside so we can see how the IR is doing? I'd like to see the IR wash and if IR bleed has been fixed. Even if you just hold the thing out a window- anything to show how the IR is doing on those domes.

You see that foam ring on those domes too?

they have also updated the picture here http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7330

Edited by Guest

You will need to schedule a call with teir II support to have them call you back. Tell them you want to flash the firmware on their website for the nvr8-7200.

You have been warned!

Really? What for? i mean does it lock me out or something? I just want to keep it up to date if there are any bug fixes and or enhancements.

You have been warned!

Really? What for? i mean does it lock me out or something? I just want to keep it up to date if there are any bug fixes and or enhancements.

Thats exactly what happens! Ask me how I know. They have to do recovery, and only the swaan tech can do it, and only teir 2! you can also PM swann tech here on the forums.

Swann is 24/7 but they only do tier 2 call backs.

they have also updated the picture here http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7330

Yep, I see the foam ring. Now I want to see what the camera sees.

Yep, I see the foam ring. Now I want to see what the camera sees.

I ordered it, if it works out Ill keep it. I wanted domes anyway, I needed 4 domes and 4 bullets.

I ordered the swann with four cameras when it was 899.99 then I ordered two packs of bullets for a total of 1600.00 not counting tax. I ordered the lorex with 6 cams for 1072 and when the domes come back I add two domes and Im saving a few hundred bux.

ordered a 2nd set of this to have a spare nvr for my work install, originally ordered 6 of the swann cameras costco had, but this gives me 2 domes that i prefer more, and a NVR for a neglible cost difference.

Hoping that these Lorex cameras are still hikvision though.

here are some photos of the Lorex bundle compared to the Swann bundle. The bullets on the Lorex don't look like the ones in the photos on Costco's site and seem to be the Hikvision DS-2CD2032.

The Swann NVR's rear on top, Lorex on bottom

The Lorex's dome camera

The Swann NVR is shorter width-wise, but slightly deeper than the Lorex. The Swann came with rack mount brackets, but the Lorex didn't. They both sound similarly loud, but the hard drive on the Lorex (both are 2TB) is marginally louder. This will stay in the garage so not a bother for me, but I wouldn't place it in a home theater rack, etc. since it's noticeable (kind of like a medium loud PC).

I've been trying to get the cameras to appear in the hikvision iVMS-4200, but haven't been able to figure it out. Both NVRs will connect to iVMS and I can remotely configure them through iVMS, but does anyone know how to get the cameras attached to the NVR to appear in the iVMS-4200 (assuming that is possible)?

IMG_5476.thumb.jpg.f3df863d2469f7ede88cb95af31f7866.jpg

IMG_5471.thumb.jpg.bc0d1e75e8918f335fbda9544cbe2db1.jpg

IMG_5478.thumb.jpg.e82afbfc07d0e7127c2c346ad09afae0.jpg

here are some photos of the Lorex bundle compared to the Swann bundle. The bullets on the Lorex don't look like the ones in the photos on Costco's site and seem to be the Hikvision DS-2CD2032.

[attachment=2]IMG_5476.jpg[/attachment]

The Swann NVR's rear on top, Lorex on bottom

[attachment=1]IMG_5471.jpg[/attachment]

The Lorex's dome camera

[attachment=0]IMG_5478.jpg[/attachment]

The Swann NVR is shorter width-wise, but slightly deeper than the Lorex. The Swann came with rack mount brackets, but the Lorex didn't. They both sound similarly loud, but the hard drive on the Lorex (both are 2TB) is marginally louder. This will stay in the garage so not a bother for me, but I wouldn't place it in a home theater rack, etc. since it's noticeable (kind of like a medium loud PC).

I've been trying to get the cameras to appear in the hikvision iVMS-4200, but haven't been able to figure it out. Both NVRs will connect to iVMS and I can remotely configure them through iVMS, but does anyone know how to get the cameras attached to the NVR to appear in the iVMS-4200 (assuming that is possible)?

I do not think it is possible, you could possibly only get into the cameras directly if you connected it directly to a poe switch.

not sure if ivms was setup to recognize nvr recorders.