mikmort

Spray paint exterior of camera (not lens) for aesthetics

I bought a couple of the Swann 1080 IP cameras from Costco. I'm in the process of mounting them and would like them to look as good as possible attached to the house.

The area where I'm mounting them is all black. This may sound stupid, but has anyone tried spray painting the exterior of the camera (obviously taking great care to protect the lens and glass)? I'd simply prefer not to have a white camera sticking out with the Swann logo. Or is this obviously dumb and will damage the camera?

The only problem may be trying to return the newly painted cameras to Coscto, other than that, there's no reason not to paint them.

I've thought of doing the exact same to my p33 series Axis cameras. Bright white cameras under a dark brown soffit

If the cameras you wish to paint are kept dry, and most importantly not exposed to direct sunlight the paint should hold for a very long time. Otherwise, be prepared to see the paint fade/peel. A contractor once told me, "once you paint something that is exposed to the elements, be prepared to eventually re-paint it again and again" It's also very difficult to get a quality paint that will adhere well to plastic.

I think there is some value to cameras standing out slightly. Certainly you don't want them to look bad or odd, but being visible to the thief or scout ringing your doorbell to see if anyone is home is worthwhile. Part of the reason to have CCTV Security cameras is to never need them, in my opinion.

I think these elements eventually fit into the facade of the home or building in which they are installed (when done correctly). This is one of the reasons I like the Dahua mini-domes so much. They're just the right size. My house is a lighter color, so the white mini-domes blend a little better. I could imagine white on dark brown maybe being a little more contrast than usual, but this also depends largely on the physical size of the camera and how well it is installed / positioned.

I would only paint if absolutely necessary. That just seems like more trouble than what it is worth. If it is that concerning to you, consider replacing these cameras with something in a dark grey finish.

you also have to consider that consider the possibility of black paint causing the camera to absorb heat, and possibly overheat the interior, i think there is a consideration for overheating in there when so many companies out there chose white as the color for the cameras exterior

I think there is some value to cameras standing out slightly. Certainly you don't want them to look bad or odd, but being visible to the thief or scout ringing your doorbell to see if anyone is home is worthwhile. Part of the reason to have CCTV Security cameras is to never need them, in my opinion.

I agree with you very much about the deterrent aspect. Although thieves look for these things and would very likely notice the camera anyways.

One real problem with having very visible cameras is the perception you create that they're needed due to real concerns in the neighborhood. This can potentially affect home sales as some potential home buyers become suspicious as to the need.

I agree with you very much about the deterrent aspect. Although thieves look for these things and would very likely notice the camera anyways.

One real problem with having very visible cameras is the perception you create that they're needed due to real concerns in the neighborhood. This can potentially affect home sales as some potential home buyers become suspicious as to the need.

hah one of my neighbors told me to go install more cameras, even though our neighborhood is a very safe one as it is. i put up 2 PTZs the size of my head on each of the front corners of my house.

looks like i have 2 white watermelons hanging off the side of my walls.

hah one of my neighbors told me to go install more cameras, even though our neighborhood is a very safe one as it is. i put up 2 PTZs the size of my head on each of the front corners of my house.

looks like i have 2 white watermelons hanging off the side of my walls.

That's an interesting perspective. Perhaps some neighbors feel safer thinking the neighborhood is being 'watched' with your cameras. I live in a very safe neighborhood too with no break-ins/car thefts I'm aware of for the 10 years I've lived there (just some kids sneaking into cars to steal change etc.). However the reaction I get from locals is "OMG, did you have a break-in...vandalism?". The reaction was that they were needed due to problems I've been having - so I can only imagine what potential homebuyers in the area might think too.

you also have to consider that consider the possibility of black paint causing the camera to absorb heat, and possibly overheat the interior

A valid concern. I painted one outdoor housing with flat, non-reflective black Krylon camo spraypaint; I've had a camera in there for over a year with no issues, although it gets direct sunlight for only part of the day.

I just recently painted a second housing in camo black, green, and tan, which is in the sun for a longer period each day. We'll see how that goes.

I have never gotten any flack from the neighbors with my four domes on the outside of the house. Interestingly the only time a neighbor has asked me for "footage" was when her garbage can went missing on trash pickup day.

Reviewing the motion detection footage demonstrated that it slid down the incline on the street during a hail storm.

You can also take the camera apart and have it powder coated. I have done this on a job that required the cameras to be the color of the home. It blended in well. You can't even notice the home has camera's installed.

I suspect it depends a ton on the character and the amount of traffic in the neighborhood. I live in a very nice but urban neighborhood in Seattle where unfortunately break-ins happen. I'm guessing that in a very suburban area where people don't regularly pass-through you might get different reaction from neighbors.

Interestingly across the lake where I live is Medina, WA -- which is where Bill Gates resides and is mostly 10+ million plus houses. Security cameras are omnipresent and expected there, without any known impact to home values that I'm aware of .

Edited by Guest

I had 2 people come to me and say we should paint the white community cameras brown to match the walls and pilasters the are on. When I mention that cameras are as much a deterrent as they are for evidence gathering, they both said leave them white.

The funny thing is that even knowing my cameras are up all around my house, I don't see them really. Even my ptz on the front of the house- it's not terribly noticeable unless you're really taking a good stare. It's amazing what you don't see, much beyond the top of your head. That's why to sell product on shelves, it's best to be lower in the line of site.

That's an interesting perspective. Perhaps some neighbors feel safer thinking the neighborhood is being 'watched' with your cameras. I live in a very safe neighborhood too with no break-ins/car thefts I'm aware of for the 10 years I've lived there (just some kids sneaking into cars to steal change etc.). However the reaction I get from locals is "OMG, did you have a break-in...vandalism?".

The problem I get is when something occasionally happens out front and I did not get it on camera, like our street sign walking away one night. "All those cameras and you didn't record that?" Well no, I don't have a camera aimed at our street sign! Although, now I aim my ptz over there more often. But if it comes up in conversation, be careful what you claim to your neighbors. Your system primarily watches YOUR property. If something happens to THEIR property, 'you'd be glad to take a look and see if you got anything useful. OR, I do installs if you're interested'.

I can only imagine what potential homebuyers in the area might think too.

That's valid and it's actually preferred that you take your cameras down when selling your house. CCTV cameras spell a troubled neighborhood, no matter how much you may insist different. Most people aren't cctv geeks like us, and they don't get the fact that in large part, a home with cameras can be even sexier to our eyes, needed or not.

Well I can only comment on my own installation. Upper middle class neighborhood with nice newer model homes on small lots. We've had no burglaries in our neighborhood but there have been some in the other nearby suburbs, some of which are much higher dollar than ours.

We have had a couple of incidents of minor vandalism and one case of someone driving into our fence. It's nice having the cams for these sorts of things, as well as keeping track of the package deliveries, dog walker, housekeepers, etc.

I also view it as a deterrent. If someone is going to do a burglary, unless they are higher IQ crooks they are more likely going to steer clear of the house with CCTV.... similar for home invasion type situation. Since our house is a large home on the corner and highly visible with hundreds of cars driving by every day I guess I am more concerned we could be a target.

None of my neighbors have commented on the cams and I have someone who lives nearby who just sold their home for top dollar so doesn't appear to be hurting "resale values" or making the neighborhood look trashy.

Admittedly I have only seen cams on two other homes that are within a 20 minute walk of mine. Both were higher dollar homes. One abutted a park and could have more issues with trespassing or minor vandalism. None have up big obnoxious cams or signs that warn people they're being recorded.

Wow, nice job!

Is the light pole new, as well, and thus everything got painted at the same time? If not you did a great job on the color match.

People comment on my cams all the time, maybe because I'm up on a ladder at least one a week changing them, LOL. Which reminds me, two on my desk aren't going to install themselves.

People comment on my cams all the time, maybe because I'm up on a ladder at least one a week changing them, LOL. Which reminds me, two on my desk aren't going to install themselves.

Your soffit must look like Swiss cheese with all those different camera installations!

Wow, nice job!

Is the light pole new, as well, and thus everything got painted at the same time? If not you did a great job on the color match.

Pole was new. Just went to the store and found a color close.

You can also take a sample to an automotive paint supply store and they can match it perfectly.

We disassembled the cameras and painted them. I'm not crazy about the dark color but so far so good.

The Domes are Avigilon JPEG2000 5MP domes and the housing has a Avigilon 16MP pro.

Nothing says "ghetto" like security screen doors (don't have). I think most people write cameras off to paranoid or eccentric individuals... but cameras AND security doors would spell "target, in ghetto".

I am still working on trimming up the install, and I envy those of you with accessible soffets. I am just drilling through the rafter blocking to get cable from the attic to outside, for the most part. There is no way to access from the inside unless you are 6" tall.

On the other hand, the Swann white matches our stucco, and the overhang is gray underneath so the PVC conduit blends in (back side only). I bought some gray split-flex to go from the conduit to the cams, but that giant connector pigtail is like a pig in a python in there. I'll have to tape it somehow... and I know duct tape is gonna say "redneck target in ghetto".