Sign in to follow this  
joebob296

DynDNS Alternatives?

Sense DynDNS no longer has free accounts beyond the 14 day free trial is there another free alternative? I am running an Asus router RT-N16 with Tomato firmware I was able to assign a static ip address from the router setting but that was for LAN only.

If you only need one Dyndns host, you can sign up for their one month trial (credit card required), cancel the trial before the month so you won't get charged anything, and keep one free host.

I can't reccomend dydns any longer, unfortunately. To keep a free account active now, you have to login every 30 days or the account gets wiped out. An updater in a router or dvr/nvr doesn't cut it- you have to manually log into your dyndns account over there within every single month. I've been doing it. I just do a quick login when I pay my bills. But it's like, dumb. The only thing good about dyndns is it's been flawless for years, so I keep it going. But I'm getting a dahua dvr in line this weekend and for that I'll be using no-ip. I've been using no-ip in a dahua nvr with no problems at all. The dahuas have an updater in them so it's great- set and forget. Eventually they'll all be a pay account I'm sure. And then, you'll have to pay to play- just that simple.

Yep, that's true. Q-see has their own, dahua has something in there, and I've used openeye that has their own- solid in fact. But the qsee one has always been reported to have problems every so often and I don't know about the dahua one so no-ip is what I choose.

You can use No-IP, it doesn't require a credit card. Doesn't Asus routers have free DDNS of their own?

http://asusddns.appspot.com/

I think they do have their own but sense I'm running tomato firmware I don't think i can use it. I'm gonna try to find a version or update with Tomato that I can possibly use. If not I will just use no-ip.

EDIT: Upon searching my router setting I found this origionally it said refresh every 28 days. However, if I change it to 0 it disables it. I think this might work. What the quickest way to see if it worked? Unplug my router?

Untitled.thumb.png.c68a839d2185cf531492a1141ea97547.png