QC444

Burglary - One Day after 8 Camera System Installed

I just finished an install in a residence of an 8 camera system. The VERY next day, the home was burglarized. Police eagerly awaiting copies of the data.

The burglar is CLEARLY shown casing the home then checking if anyone is home then proceeding to smash a window and enter the home. Inside camera catches the perps movements through the home ransacking and gathering valuables.

Outside cameras record the perp knocking on the door and peeping through windows then doing a complete walk around.

Apparently, he came first in the morning one hour after the residents left. This was to do a preliminary scope out. Then entered the home through a window half an hour later but took nothing. Then, returned 4 HOURS later to do the actual dirty deeds.

It's amazing how much insight you can get into a burglar's mind seeing them in actual without them realizing you'll see them at work.

MANY valuable lessons learned from viewing the footage on tips that can make a HUGE difference in the effectiveness of having a camera security system. NOTHING teaches like real experience.

Amazingly, the young perps failed to realize the home even had a surveillance system until they had nearly finished.

The owner had insisted on a 2 camera system but I talked them into an 8 camera system. They thanked me after this incident for being persistent and knowing to make valuable recommendations.

If you're an installer, you are doing people a HUGE service every time you install a surveillance system in these times.

Be safe.

one of the problems with burglars is that if they are pro they'll always take the DVR with them...

i'm eager to know what your burglars did after they found out about surveillance system? did they just ran off?

If I might ask... what kind of system did you setup for this client...? DVR/Camera, etc...? I have so many residential people that are on the fence about the cost of IP equipment. I like to use these types of examples to reinforce the cost justification. ...

cmon let's see some clips if you can, with a commentary from you and share your ideas and thoughts with us.

These type of cips are more entertaining than America's got Talent.

cmon let's see some clips if you can, with a commentary from you and share your ideas and thoughts with us.

Same thought. Would be VERY much appreciated.

Same thought. Would be VERY much appreciated.

me too...

Exactly my question. Was the DVR protected in a locked room or cabinet? Was the cabling inside conduit? Etc.

How well protected or hidden was the DVR and the cabling?

It's been several days since his post. It could be possible that in fact HE was the burglar that actually caught himself

on video, and now he's in jail so he can't reply to us. And if you think about it, that's why he didn't post

the video because of such shame he has brought to himself and his family!

Very interesting theory...

So first he install the system. Then he burglarized the same home?

And he posted this on this forum as a warning to other people?

It's been several days since his post. It could be possible that in fact HE was the burglar that actually caught himself

on video, and now he's in jail so he can't reply to us. And if you think about it, that's why he didn't post

Anything is possible!

Very interesting theory...

So first he install the system. Then he burglarized the same home?

And he posted this on this forum as a warning to other people?

Useless without video?

Buy a cheap ass dvr from ebay, doesn't matter. Anything cheap, slap a SECURITY CAMERA DVR or something else on it and plug it up

to distract them from the real one. It's cheap and worth the shot.

That's why an alarm system should be part of any security planning.

The thieve will know he has 5-10 minutes top until the cops show up, so he's more likely to visit the neighbours (if you have stickers and the panel is visible from outside). If you have cameras on top of that, he won't be wasting previous minutes trying to find the DVR, he'll probably skip that house.

But if it does happen, if the DVR is secured he can smash it all he wants, if the alarm is making noise he'll just want to get out of there ASAP with stuff he can resell.