speter42

Wire difference???

What is the difference between the PoE wire system, (for IP cameras), and the siamese wire system for analog cameras ?

Do they do the same thing...pertaining to power?

Anyone?

PoE is just using standard network cables and feeding power through it.

Siamese is two seperate sets of wire. One for video the other for power. Usually bonded together with seperate connections for power and video at each end.

Siamese is two seperate sets of wire. One for video the other for power. Usually bonded together with seperate connections for power and video at each end.

Thanks for the reply EarlT.

Now, the real stupid question...will all analog cameras take siamese wiring, and,..where does the siamese wire get it's power from?

Thanks for the reply EarlT.

Now, the real stupid question...will all analog cameras take siamese wiring, and,..where does the siamese wire get it's power from?

Yes, analog cameras use coax for the video, but can also use cat5 type wiring with "baluns".

Power comes from anything from an AC adapter (with the appropriate voltage 24vac or 12vdc). When you have multiple cameras you can often use a multi channel power supply. Again either DC or AC.

I use Cat5 for analogue cameras. Its great stuff. I use a single twisted pair for the video signal and the remaining pairs for the power.

I separate the remaining pairs at both ends and re-twist them into solid colour conductors together and and striped conductors together.These carry the DC or AC power to the camera

I use Cat5 for analogue cameras. Its great stuff. I use a single twisted pair for the video signal and the remaining pairs for the power.

I separate the remaining pairs at both ends and re-twist them into solid colour conductors together and and striped conductors together.These carry the DC or AC power to the camera

Thanks for the answers and ideas.