MikeyD1

Where to start with my new camera system, placement, drillin

Ok guys I got my new Lorex 1080p POe camera system today that I ordered from Costco.com here--> http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-Real-Time-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048576.html

So questions is where do I start. I'm thinking I have to setup 1 or 2 cameras in temporary locations first and test how they will show video in day and night and what they capture to be sure I'm happy with quality. Then once I do start setting them up I can use my cell phone live video app. to adjust as needed.

Only 2 questions right now that I have:

1.) When drilling through my walls do I drill from the outside into the attic or vice versa? Also what type of drill bit to use?

2.) Where should I place the 2 dome cameras I received indoor only or outdoor only or 50/50? I was thinking of putting a dome in my garage and another in my living room.

3.) Please see attachment on Home layout (Pic from Google Maps) & a garage layout. Where should I place camera? I have 6 cameras total for now and plan on buying 2 more later.

Thanks all for the help!!

Mike

1.thumb.jpg.ca91a35773094d39d24955310814f034.jpg

2.jpg.76ba656014084b62b2a2782d37926bc6.jpg

566519299_3BACK.jpg.c6a2ed07067c829f5923896b47b275d4.jpg

Also here is a layout of the inside of my garage......where should I place the camera and should it be a the dome camera or bullet?

Thanks,

Mike

25476105_Garagelayout.thumb.jpg.6dab69eea9177ee96a3d5b0a63fb06af.jpg

Anyone at all? I'm getting ready to start this project this week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am no expert but here are some thoughts based on being a month in to the similar Swann...

Did you figure out where you'll be placing the NVR yet? If you haven't plugged it in, do so. See what you think about that fan, and where you want it to live.

This won't directly affect camera placement, but will let you assess how you're going to route cable from it to each camera. That, in turn, might suggest some areas are more do-able than others.

Bugs are drawn to the IR leds and then you get the spiders. Now I am looking for external IR sources, and a way to turn off the camera LEDs while keeping them in night mode. This seems to be a common problem.

You will want to be able to reach the lens to spray and/or clean off webs.

20 ft up doesn't make for very good ID on people, try to get high enough to avoid casual vandals, but still get some facial ID.

Consider where the sun rises and sets, as it will cause subjects to be backlit during those times of day. This occurs indoors also, as in your garage where the sun will be streaming in the windows. You wouldn't want to point at them, when you could use them for illumination if they were at the camera's back. Your pics don't show which way is north?

I installed a couple of cameras temporarily with woodworking clamps to see what would happen with the pictures throughout a day. Based on the results, I moved both of them slightly.

You can use a regular masonry bit for stucco (if that's what it is), or even a beater wood drill. Since I don't have soffets, all of mine are mounted to rafters or fascias with wood screws.

i have also installed a camera to my office in last month. The first thing keep in mind is that the camera quality shoud be so good as you are using it for security purpose.If you already have then now think about the place where you want to install it.The CCTV shave good lens so its picture quality is always nice but try to place it in the area with good light. don't place it where the sun light directly falls on it.On the same time try to place it in some hidden place where the attacker doesnot see it because if he then he try to damage it first.

now the next thing is wiring... try to plan the placement of the camera by minimizing the wiring lenght as if the wiring is long the attacker may find the wire and cut it.

The recorder and the monitor connections should be proper and try to avoid external wiring..

Here completes your installation now switch on the camera and check for the monitor adjustments.

\Hoope it will help you