mroek

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I - Chinese version

Hi,

Today I received three of these bullets from China (Aliexpress). They are obviously Chinese versions, with a Chinese leaflet, Chinese label, and ... Chinese firmware.

Now, before anyone gets scared, there is actually only one minor item that shows the firmware is Chinese, and that is the weekday text overlay. It is impossible to get that to be in English, other than that, absolutely everything is in English. The cameras are fully usable as-is, you just have to live without weekday display (or learn Chinese).

The cameras I received are manufactured in July, so they're coming almost directly from the production lines. The connector pigtail is the new and improved style, a wise move from Hikvision. One word of caution though, you have to re-crimp the connector on the ethernet cable if you are going to use it, because you need to thread some parts onto the cable itself before assembling it.

I have only installed one of the cameras yet, but I am very impressed with it. It replaces a bricked Dahua HFW2100, and it is way, way better in almost every regard. I'm not going to make this a review, because others have written good reviews, but this is a little gem of a camera. Not flawless, but very good.

Now, to get to the point of this thread, since I am a tinkerer, I really want to find out if it is possible to cross-flash the camera to the European version of the firmware. Two reasons for this, one is the minor issue with the weekdays, the other is future updates. When new versions are released on the European (or US) site, it would be nice to be able to use those, and I guess to do that the camera must think it is already a US or European version.

I'm saying US or European, because I did a binary compare of the v5 firmware that is available from Hikvision US and Hikvision Europe, and they are actually identical. May not be relevant, but nevertheless it probably means Hikvision doesn't have PAL or NTSC versions (which is rather pointless these days anyway) like Dahua has.

As others have also discovered, just trying to flash the European firmware to these Chinese cameras gives you an error message stating "Language mismatch". Nothing is broken or corrupted by trying this, it's just the camera that refuses to flash the firmware.

I have asked the Aliexpress supplier if they can offer some advice, but I'm not sure if they will have any to offer.

I've been thinking if it would be possible to use the TFTP brick recovery method to trick the camera into taking the other firmware, but I am not sure I'd like to risk it. I have verified that these cameras always tries to contact the TFTP-server at 192.0.0.128 during boot, no matter if the cameras are fully working or not. I am quite convinced that the TFTP functionality is part of the bootloader (99% sure it is U-boot), and in theory it is possible, maybe even likely, that this method could bypass the language check (if that's actually what it is). After all, this method is meant to recover a bricked camera, so there might not be a previous firmware to check against. It is of course also possible that there is some regional indicator stored elsewhere, in which case all of this might be a moot point.

At this point I am going to wait for a reply from the supplier, but I am a bit tempted to try this, even though I run the risk of bricking the camera.

If anyone else has any info to chip in with, please do.

I'm dealing with the same issue. I purchased a DS-2CD8464F-EIW from DinoDirect to use a a baby monitor and it's awesome but they only sell in the Asian markets. It came with 4.0 but the 5.0 user guide lists the DS-2CD8464F-EIW as a supported model. I tried the TFTP process with the European firmware but I couldn't get it to upload. I emailed DinoDirect and I'm trying to get them to provide the 5.0 Chinese version firmware for the TI365 platform.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7362

For those looking for the Chinese version of the 5.0 firmware for the Raptor platform, I think I found it on the Korean Hikvision site but I'm not sure since the DS-2CD8464F-EIW is on the TI365 platform.

http://hikv.co.kr/home/sub_0401_view.aspx?sn=85

I'm dealing with the same issue. I purchased a DS-2CD8464F-EIW from DinoDirect to use a a baby monitor and it's awesome but they only sell in the Asian markets. It came with 4.0 but the 5.0 user guide lists the DS-2CD8464F-EIW as a supported model. I tried the TFTP process with the European firmware but I couldn't get it to upload. I emailed DinoDirect and I'm trying to get them to provide the 5.0 Chinese version firmware for the TI365 platform.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7362

For those looking for the Chinese version of the 5.0 firmware for the Raptor platform, I think I found it on the Korean Hikvision site but I'm not sure since the DS-2CD8464F-EIW is on the TI365 platform.

http://hikv.co.kr/home/sub_0401_view.aspx?sn=85

I'd like to hear more about your failed TFTP update attempt. Did you use the TFTP-server provided by Hikvision? Did the camera actually connect to the TFTP-server, but then failed to download the update? Or did it download the update, and then failed to actually flash it?

According to my supplier, it is impossible to convert the cameras to the European version, unfortunately. I'm sure my supplier actually believes that, but I'm quite sure there is a way around it.

ETA:

I think the download you found at the Korean site is indeed the Chinese V5 firmware for the Raptor platform. This file is different to the Europan file, but I haven't analyzed it any further yet.

The file from the Korean site is actually NOT the same as the Chinese version. My supplier has now sent me the real Chinese version, and it is nearly identical to the European file. It differs only in three bytes near the top of the file, which tells me that the firmware is actually the same.

My supplier insists that it is impossible to load the European firmware on a Chinese camera, but this last finding tells me that the firmwares aren't really different (except for some apparent regional info in the proprietary file header). And also, given that everything else is correctly translated, I'm wondering if this might be just a bug, and that even genuine European cameras has it. Does anyone here have genuine European (or US) cameras? Is the weekday text correct?

There might be some hardware regional indicator within the camera itself, and that will of course make this whole exercise a moot point, unfortunately.

I have a couple of US 3MP bullet cameras, sold by a vendor we can't name here and with their specific model name, and they show English days of the week on the OSD. They came with 5.0.0 installed.

I have a couple of US 3MP bullet cameras, sold by a vendor we can't name here and with their specific model name, and they show English days of the week on the OSD. They came with 5.0.0 installed.

That's because they are unbranded Hikvision that came from Hikvision USA, different than ones destined for the Asian market.

That's because they are unbranded Hikvision that came from Hikvision USA, different than ones destined for the Asian market.

Yes, but the strange thing is that the firmwares are actually the same. The firmware files only differ in three (3) bytes near the beginning of the file, so I suspect there is some other kind of tomfoolery going on.

It is also strange that absolutely everything else is in English on these Chinese versions, the only thing that remains in Chinese is the weekday display. Not really a big thing, since you can just turn it off, but it is still very strange.

Hi All,

Any update on this? Has anyone managed to flash the chineese cameras with european / usa firmware?

Brenning

Not that I know of.

I have been too busy to experiment more with this, and since the cameras work fine as they are, there isn't a strong incentive to do so, either.

I have 17 of these cameras (CMIP8232). Got them off an online auction site for $220, have firmware v5.0.0.130412. I think the Chinese ones are selling for quite a bit less.

Is there a newer firmware for this camera? Where would I download it? I don't see firmware on ltsecurityinc.com

Work fine for me and I'm still happy with the cost!

It's funny but I saw them for $169 on eBay yesterday so I messaged the vendor and they are the Chinese versions which is good price because my source in China is actually more expensive. Actual Hikvision branded U.S. camera are at least $100 more. So there's 3 types so far, I know, confusing but there's Hikvision USA cameras, Hikvision China cameras and OEM Hikvision cameras. They all have their own firmware.

It's funny but I saw them for $169 on eBay yesterday so I messaged the vendor and they are the Chinese versions which is good price because my source in China is actually more expensive. Actual Hikvision branded U.S. camera are at least $100 more. So there's 3 types so far, I know, confusing but there's Hikvision USA cameras, Hikvision China cameras and OEM Hikvision cameras. They all have their own firmware.

Hey Bull,

Don't you sell them at Wrightwood cheaper than that?

Why is $169 a good price or am I confused on camera model?

Just thought i'd let everyone know, I have the European 5.05 firmware working on the Chinese cameras using the TFTP method.

Brenning

Just thought i'd let everyone know, I have the European 5.05 firmware working on the Chinese cameras using the TFTP method.

Brenning

But does it solved the week being display in Chinese issue?

Brenning

But does it solved the week being display in Chinese issue?

I'm afraid it does not. When ticking the "Display Week" check box under OSD settings it does display the day correctly in English in the little preview window but when you flick to live view its in Chinese.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Can anyone point me to a web site that describes the TFTP method referred to.

Looks like I have accidentally purchased 5 Chinese versions of this camera. Everything on the camera is in Chinese with no option to change.

Thanks.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Can anyone point me to a web site that describes the TFTP method referred to.

Looks like I have accidentally purchased 5 Chinese versions of this camera. Everything on the camera is in Chinese with no option to change.

Thanks.

You should be able to apply the chinese to english fix. This works for firmwares 5.1.0 and 5.1.2. I suspect you have 5.1.2.

See: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40240

Cheers.

I just bought 4 of these from CCTV China and all of them now have the day of the week in English without any fix at all.

The cameras came in the OEM browm box too.

I just bought 4 of these from CCTV China and all of them now have the day of the week in English without any fix at all.

The cameras came in the OEM browm box too.

Most likely the supplier has patched them manually, but they are still Chinese region cameras.

I understand that. But just saves you flashing them. Of course when the time comes to upgrade them then that's a different ball game.

I have got another one on the way which is claimed to be an International Version. Cheaper than i purchased the others for. ($91)

Just turn the day of week display off and display the date only, problem solved. Why is it so important to display the day of week. Most other brands of cameras don't even have that as an option. Next time buy the cameras in the U.S.

TFTP won't help, installing English firmware will not make the day of week English if it's a Chinese language camera.

I have got another one on the way which is claimed to be an International Version. Cheaper than i purchased the others for. ($91)

Always good to be suspicious of the claims of $91 camera vendors. I'm not saying they're misleading anyone, but I'd bet it's a patched Chinese camera at that price. If so, yes, it's international now, but may revert with a software update.

IMO, the main issue with Chinese tagged cams is the upgrading difficulty. If I bought Chinese cams, I'd probably do the CBX fix just to avoid the time required fiddling with them in the future, but for those who don't need firmware updates or don't mind spending the time, it's not a big deal.

Always good to be suspicious of the claims of $91 camera vendors. I'm not saying they're misleading anyone, but I'd bet it's a patched Chinese camera at that price. If so, yes, it's international now, but may revert with a software update.

IMO, the main issue with Chinese tagged cams is the upgrading difficulty. If I bought Chinese cams, I'd probably do the CBX fix just to avoid the time required fiddling with them in the future, but for those who don't need firmware updates or don't mind spending the time, it's not a big deal.

Do the cameras automatically update the firmware?

Shouldn't they work fine as long as you don't update the firmware?

No, they don't update automatically, and yes, it'll work fine if it's not updated.

I have cams that haven't been updated in years, with no problems, but these mid-range Chinese cams like Hik and Dahua tend to add both bug fixes and pretty good feature improvements at a steady pace.

Things like profile switching, WDR, smart IR, better recording options, and such have all been added recently. If you don't need or want whatever comes next, it's fine to stick with the old firmware.