Sign in to follow this  
nathpw

CCTV system to monitor a suburbs entrance/exits

Hi guys

I have been tasked with putting together a design to help our small suburb combat the rampant crime in the area... Gotta love South Africa

As we are doing this as residents and therefore the budget will be extremely tight as its coming out of our own pockets, there is no exact number but please bear that in mind.

The suburb only has 4 entrances/exits and each of these entry point must be monitored and the video fed to a control room via some sort of link, in future we would like to expand the system to place additional camera at key intersection within the suburb. The suburb is approximately 1.5 square kilometers and is situated on the side of a hill

I need to know the following.

- How to transmit the video feed from the cameras, the inital thought was 3G dongles but surely there is some sort of long range wireless transmission devices that can do better...

- The vision I have is to use license plate recognition camera to be able to accurately identify the vehicles entering and exiting the area, using this video I'd like to record these plate numbers into a DB and compare them against a black/whitelist and notify private security companies when vehicles known to be involved in criminal activities are entering the area to stop the incidents before they happen/

- From a camera hardware / DVR/NVR point of view - what would you recommend?

If there is anything I've missed or any suggestions please just chip them in and any extra info will help. To put in into perspective we had 40 house breaking - some very violent and a murder in the last month - all in an area of roughly 300 houses so something needs to be done... and quick

Nath

You have to use 60fps ip cameras, and for transmission you've to use Ubiquiti NanoStation or NanoBridge Access Points. i recommend using a pc or nvr with Aimetis software.

You shouldn't need a 60fps camera.

The reason you're not getting much response is that we don't know the scope of what you can do and whether you have the resources to do it 'right'. Have you got the authority to put cameras on poles or guard shacks? Have you get the budget (i.e. many thousands of dollars)? If you have those two things why not hire someone locally?

Interesting picture... Dont do this. lol

228023_1.jpg

You shouldn't need a 60fps camera.

The reason you're not getting much response is that we don't know the scope of what you can do and whether you have the resources to do it 'right'. Have you got the authority to put cameras on poles or guard shacks? Have you get the budget (i.e. many thousands of dollars)? If you have those two things why not hire someone locally?

Being South African myself i can tell you that the expense you will incur to capture, reference and compare the plates, will be one lot of wasted expenditure. 90% of vehicles used to committ crime in South Africa are fitted with false plates, and your entire approach is a retro-active one - which is not desirable.

We don't want to be sending pictures of number plates to police after an armed home invasion has left a family dead.

May I ask, have you profiled you community - do you know what types of incidents are being committed, where the hot spots are, etc.

By analysing the major time of incidents for instance you will be able to determine if these incidents are originating from inside or outside the community. Wether they are perpertrated by vehicle or by foot?

In any event I do have a very good system for you in terms of License Plate Recognition and processing - but I think your community can do more effective things than what is being planned.

Things like educating the community to identify scouts, and giving them a solution to report such incidents - either via sms or other online forum ,with someone plotting and investigating the reports. Identifying scouts - which is the first phase of crime, is a far better early warning system than hoping criminals are driving around with the same plates they last used to committ a crime with. The observation, scoping, scouting activity is usually conducted by people on foot - this is just aspect of what you need to implement, but it is a very important one. CCTV cameras in isolation won't do much for your community.