ramcewan

looking for recommendations - home IP POE NVR system

My needs are 4 camera system. Mix of outdoor and indoor with night vision. 720p min resolution. Probably most important is reliability and notifications based on motion detection with remote access via android app or web browser. Budget is $700-1000 USD.

I'm thinking I might want to expand in the future to more cameras but I know for the budget I may have to accept that I can't and consider buying a new NDVR at that time.

Came across this which seems to fit my needs, $599 and I can buy a 1 TB hard drive myself for less than the $110 they want. It is a HEI VISION setup with four 1 MP cameras

http://hdsecuritystore.com/index.php?cPath=3_64_65&osCsid=9jdcv31nq2gnbtc4toel1qeme4

So is there any down side to this system?

I also found this Zmodo system which seems to also fit my needs

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881523055

At this point I am leaning towards the Zmodo simply because of the return policy on newegg.

p.s. another contender would be this Q-see system

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5259599&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CP6Sx_PY67gCFcOh4Aod22IARA

Alternately I was looking at something like this dahua 8 Channel 1080p Mini NVR DH-NVR3108, plus some cameras which quickly gets up over $599

http://hdsecuritystore.com/product_info.php?products_id=371&osCsid=9jdcv31nq2gnbtc4toel1qeme4

I understand that alibaba and ebay may be sources for cheaper prices but I am a little wary of buying without support.

Would love to hear from people using either the Zmodo or the HEI VISION products or who have gone the dahua system approach.

hmm.. well I am now leaning towards the Q-See Platinum 4 Channel QC804-483-1

Costco has or had it for $30 less before shipping but I'm not a Costco member.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5259599&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CP6Sx_PY67gCFcOh4Aod22IARA

Obviously I realize it wouldn't give me the ability to expand but similar 4 camera bundled systems with the QC808 eight channel NVR are $1100 and up... For the $300+ savings I can live with knowing I'd have to buy a new NVR if I wanted to go with more cameras.

hmmm.... well sams club where I am a member has the QC808-461-1 which has the 8 channel NVR and 4 bullets for the same $799

so the plot thickens

You should compare specs to the Swann and Lorex IP packages at Costco. I believe the cameras are still higher resolution than the Q-See.

Without recommending anything in particular, these are among the better deals in your price range and should be on the list.

I am actually pretty happy with the Swann, despite some little annoyances. Seems like no one is making that "perfect" package yet but these are pretty good.

You should compare specs to the Swann and Lorex IP packages at Costco. I believe the cameras are still higher resolution than the Q-See.

Without recommending anything in particular, these are among the better deals in your price range and should be on the list.

I am actually pretty happy with the Swann, despite some little annoyances. Seems like no one is making that "perfect" package yet but these are pretty good.

I did, the lorex and swann systems look to be analog TVL until you step up to the $1000 price mark, then I see a decent 8 camera, six bullet and two dome for $999. its more than I need but still cheaper than a four plus two extras.

I

You will always end up wanting "more than you need", or needing more than you originally wanted. Better to get a toe in the water with a decent, expandable system, and seeing just what it delivers in your particular situation.

A grand is nothing for quality, flexibility, and support, when the difference is only a couple hundred. I am glad I went IP although some have made a case for the SDI systems. Either delivers 1080 or higher.

You will always end up wanting "more than you need", or needing more than you originally wanted. Better to get a toe in the water with a decent, expandable system, and seeing just what it delivers in your particular situation.

A grand is nothing for quality, flexibility, and support, when the difference is only a couple hundred. I am glad I went IP although some have made a case for the SDI systems. Either delivers 1080 or higher.

Thanks Daveshoot,

The one I am going with is the 8 channel (expandable) IP PoE based Q-See kit which includes 4 720P 1.3MP cameras (rebranded dahua IPC-HFW2100 cameras). For $799 it is a great deal.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/8-ch-4-cam-nvr-sys-4-hd-720p-ip-bul/prod9130159.ip

Please note that there are also SDI and D1 based systems from Q-See at similar price point.

I will say I am tempted to buy the $999 Lorex system with 6 cameras for an extra $200 + Costco membership and shipping. Going to really have to consider my design to see if 4 cameras will do, since obviously I'm in another $150 or more should I decide to add another camera to the Q-See system.

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-Real-Time-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048576.html

Just read up on the support first. At my level, support is an issue; Swann (and Costco) have been very good in this area. I am not sure if Lorex and Q-See have the same track record.

If you can DIY everything then go with the price. I was kinda sour about the price + for the Swanns, but they do answer the phone.

I don't actually know beans about the first systems you linked. I compared the Q-See, Lorex, and Swann systems for quite a while, and was set to go with the Q, but the better specs on the later systems turned my head. I have had relatively good luck with Swann support.

I got my system up and working with 2 cameras and 2 more to install. Hardest part (for me) was running the wires.

I did have to reach out to support for some issues with remote viewing and found that via email they were helpful if a little abrupt. I was able to work through the issues which in fairness to Q-See was really an issue with the Comcast router I have for internet access, so in my mind they went beyond what was their responsibility and provided assistance with settings that really fall outside their product, when they could have told me I was on my own.