Tarek

getting the thief

I’m running a care centre and got the problem that someone is stealing. So I’d like to set up a mobile hidden cctv system.

My idea is to place a small wireless camera and record the picture with a mobile device witch is motion activated. I found out that such small cameras are only able to send about 40m indoor a central recording station is not practical.

I’m new to the cctv stuff so I’m asking for a idea how to realise the system.

thanks for the help

Hi Tarek,

Four quick questions for you:-

What are they stealing, where are they stealing it from, do you have an idea who might be doing the stealing, and ..... how often is it happening?

Before you can address the problem with hidden cameras, you need to look carefully at the nature of the problem, otherwise you just risk wasting money, and possibly making the situation even worse.

We’ve got 5 different stuff rooms were all kinds of material for patient use is stored. Mainly small things for everyday use get stolen..

The rooms need to be kept open since there is all day long someone working. During the night shifts there is only one employee per station. But it is not possible to point one out because we are an open centre. Everyone is able to come and go.

I suspect employees, because one was caught. But it didn’t stop…

And it happens about twice a month.

Access Control for the supply room would be a great idea. And toss a single camera in there for peace of mind.

Scottj

Different laws apply to different states but most times I come accross people wanting to "catch" the people in the act. While most times catching this person will stop the problem, it isn't always 100% effective. What I'm getting to is that even though you caught this person in the act, you can't prove they stole prior to that event.

Most times throwing up a visible camera will both deter the theif as well as catch somebody if it still happens.

if all it is for is a deterrent, then just buy some dummy cameras .. will save you a bundle. Sanyo makes a dummy camera that looks identical to their working Box cameras.

Rory

Cooperman and SecurityMonster are spot on.

If your objective is to prevent theft of pilferable items, then identifying some, or even all, of your current thieves is only a short term solution.

If the current thieves are employees and are fired after being identified, then what about the next batch of workers who are their replacements? Are you going to keep hiring, training, and then firing people? At what point will the process of identifying thieves and replacing them become more costly than your inventory losses?

While a hidden camera may help you identify and terminate employees for cause, you need to address the long term loss prevention issues.

As alluded to above, you may want to look at some access control measures, some tighter inventory control, employment background checks, employee training and awareness training, etc.. - an overall solution to the problem.

CCTV would be a good part of the solution, but it needs to work within a comprehensive loss prevention strategy.

Hope this helps.