Chow

How Many Cameras & Where to Mount

How many Cameras do I need for the back of my house and where should I mount them. I bought the 6 camera lorex system from costco to start. I will have 2-3 cameras in the front. Just need to figure out what I need for the back. Here are some pictures:

228140_1.jpg

228140_2.jpg

Thanks!

Just a suggestion and an opinion and you know what they say about opinions!

Awesome those were the locations I was thinking. Hopefully the cameras can get a clear picture that high up.

On the rear camera's, I would suggest 6mm (or vari-focal of 4 to 9 or 2.8 to 12 and adjust as suitable). You don't need a lot of overlap and you will get "closer views" as the Field of View is reduced. As far as the front camera goes, (in my opinion) you don't want too much of a downward angle to the top of peope's heads. Do you want the facial shot as people are coming up the stairs? Then what you have is ok. Or move it closer to over the door. If you are wanting to see who is at the door when the door bell rings or they knock, then place a camera in the corner to the right.

I would put camera in corner to the right side on the wall where you have garage. Overview shot of porch.

If you are wanting to see who is at the door when the door bell rings or they knock, then place a camera in the corner to the right.

That is also a good place. Like I say. It's all in what you are wanting to accomplish. Camera placement can be a very personal thing. At times legal issues restrict what you would "like" to do. Just had that with one of my clients.

Thanks guys, I am not sure if I am going to be comfortable installing these by myself. What should I expect to pay a local professional installer to install the 6 cameras and possibly wire for 2 more future cameras?

Thanks guys, I am not sure if I am going to be comfortable installing these by myself. What should I expect to pay a local professional installer to install the 6 cameras and possibly wire for 2 more future cameras?

That is so dependent on local labor rates. Are they licensed, bonded, insured? Do you want the wires run in conduit, in the wall, or just surface mounted to Sheetrock in garage or basement, etc. All of these different variables could have am impact on price.

Problem with these economy kits is that you are locked into the lense focal length and illumination distance. You have bought Recognition at no more than a few meters, Identification at no more than 1-2m. Basically anything beyond that your system is only good for detection of any person entering your space and then monitoring what they do. The only useful benefit of that is when you or someone else is inside the house and watching the monitor 24/7.