There are generally 2 approaches for this:

- Regular camera with a super-wide-angle lens - this is easier if you use one that takes CS or C mount, as fisheye lenses can really highlight quality issues. The fisheye distortion can be corrected either with the lens (expensive) or with image processing (less expensive, but has to be designed into the camera). The Vivotek FE8172 is an example of the latter.

- Multi-sensor cameras, like the Arecont AV8185. These have better resolution across the entire FOV for similar MP counts, but aren't always compatible with general purpose NVRs or recording software. Some treat all the sensors as a single stream, others as multiple streams.

There are generally 2 approaches for this:

- Regular camera with a super-wide-angle lens - this is easier if you use one that takes CS or C mount, as fisheye lenses can really highlight quality issues. The fisheye distortion can be corrected either with the lens (expensive) or with image processing (less expensive, but has to be designed into the camera). The Vivotek FE8172 is an example of the latter.

- Multi-sensor cameras, like the Arecont AV8185. These have better resolution across the entire FOV for similar MP counts, but aren't always compatible with general purpose NVRs or recording software. Some treat all the sensors as a single stream, others as multiple streams.

i really just need it to watch for wild life in my barn, around my coop, I use blue iris, so multi stream would not bother me

it just need to have the res to pick up coons and such, that blend into the dirt well

I looked at panoramic cams for the front of my house, and decided they were either too expensive or too proprietary (or both). I ended up using a pair of Hik mini-bullets aimed to give similar coverage - not so elegant, but effective and affordable.

I've had issues catching raccoons on cam lately, but this depends on your motion detection. With Blue Iris, I've had to turn off object detect/reject to get it more sensitive to small critters (which increases my alerts from shadows and such). As long as they're in the main IR beam, it's no problem, but when they're around the fringe of the FOV or further away, it's tricky to get good triggering.

I get around this by recording cams 24x7 as well as with motion detect, so when there's activity, I can always go back and see what happened when motion detect wasn't triggering.

I looked at panoramic cams for the front of my house, and decided they were either too expensive or too proprietary (or both). I ended up using a pair of Hik mini-bullets aimed to give similar coverage - not so elegant, but effective and affordable.

I've had issues catching raccoons on cam lately, but this depends on your motion detection. With Blue Iris, I've had to turn off object detect/reject to get it more sensitive to small critters (which increases my alerts from shadows and such). As long as they're in the main IR beam, it's no problem, but when they're around the fringe of the FOV or further away, it's tricky to get good triggering.

I get around this by recording cams 24x7 as well as with motion detect, so when there's activity, I can always go back and see what happened when motion detect wasn't triggering.

i found setting my contrast to 0 pick up the coons very well (only need this for night use profile for day/night)

Why wouldn't you just want more than one camera in different areas of your barn? How do you think this wildlife is getting in? Have you thought about closing up any openings so they can't get in?

Why wouldn't you just want more than one camera in different areas of your barn? How do you think this wildlife is getting in? Have you thought about closing up any openings so they can't get in?

oh i would love to have many cameras in/around there, but need money and the barn is 100 feet from house need to run cat 6 our there still

also its much easier to sneak up on stuff if it is in the barn, if its out site they hear me coming and take off, shooting them ensure they dont come back...... ever

plus under the law i can't shoot them unless they are endangering my chickens

The barn would be difficult and expensive to close up to keep coons out they are sneaky buggers !!

If running Ethernet cable to the barn is not practical, you can get a pair of Ubiquiti Nanostations Loco for under $100 and create a wireless bridge between the structures.

Terrible idea, use a pair of 90's, the drop in pixel density trying to spread them so far is far from worth it.

i found setting my contrast to 0 pick up the coons very well (only need this for night use profile for day/night)

Thanks, I may try this. I only have Hiks on the front of the house, and the raccoons mostly play in the back, but I have better lighting in the back.

Last time they were up front at night, I found them because one of the Hiks started recording due to a bunch of dust in the air being seen by the IR - the raccoons had passed under, messing with stuff, and it didn't catch them, but the dust they raised gave me a time stamp. I went to my backup 24x7 system and saw them messing around.

Terrible idea, use a pair of 90's, the drop in pixel density trying to spread them so far is far from worth it.

good point i can get 2 MP hiks AND save $100......... the hik are not 90 though

good point i can get 2 MP hiks AND save $100......... the hik are not 90 though

we just use the IPQ2322x's they are $250 ish 3mp and 86 degree view will not help if your on a Hik vision DVR/NVR if you only have 60/70 degree view maybe get 3? (I know excessive, but I have plenty of overlap on my garage and it's been quite handy when/if one of the camera's goes down)

I set up a pair of Hik 3MP bullets in 1080p mode (3MP is a narrower FOV) to get as close as I could to 180 degree, and they're a good bit short.

http://www.cam-it.org/index.php?topic=4828.msg25682#msg25682

Their specs claim 76 degrees with the 4mm lens (they don't say if that's 1080p or 3MP mode), but mine measure 68 degrees at 1080p, and I'd definitely like closer to 180 degrees total.

I may swap the lenses, but that's a pain in the butt with these cams and M12 lenses in general.

You can get the Hikvision domes that use the 2.8mm lens. I'm getting one tomorrow, but I would imagine it's closer to 90 degrees than the 4mm on the bullet.

Also, for about $599, you can get the new Dahua PTZ, 3x zoom, 1080P, may be good for this as you'll get a wide angle but put the camera on patrol to capture different areas in greater detail. The lens is 3-9mm, perfect for a driveway or backyard where their 20x giant PTZ is not necessary. I know you can put two wide angle cameras to get the coverage, but then you won't get the detail from zooming into the action.

This is the Hikvision dome, 2.8mm in my driveway, you can see the coverage is pretty wide (reduced to 640x480 for display purposes) -

228700_1.jpg

This is the Swann bullet, 4mm, 1080P, so is diplaying a little more width than if I can put it 3MP mode.

228700_2.jpg