CamB

Ideas Why Milestone App Only Works on Cellular?

I have the exact same implementation at two locations. The only difference is ATT vs Comcast for Internet. For some reason, I can only view the Comcast location when over wifi at work, but to view the ATT location, I have to switch wifi off. Any ideas why this is and how I can correct the ATT location?

Do you have the same router at each location?

Also this is NOT an issue from a network loop. If you had a network loop none of your devices would be able to communicate with each other.

No. Different router due to ATT forcing you to use their modem/router combo unit by Pace America.

So your router doesn't have NAT Loopback configured.

NAT loopback... where a machine on the LAN is able to access another machine on the LAN via the external IP address of the LAN/router (with port forwarding set up on the router to direct requests to the appropriate machine on the LAN). Without NAT loopback you must use the internal IP address of the device when on the LAN.

NAT loopback... where a machine on the LAN is able to access another machine on the LAN via the external IP address of the LAN/router (with port forwarding set up on the router to direct requests to the appropriate machine on the LAN). Without NAT loopback you must use the internal IP address of the device when on the LAN.

Thank you for clearing up what I said above. I was on the road and didn't have time to type all that, thus my response was useless! LOL

Thank you for clearing up what I said above. I was on the road and didn't have time to type all that, thus my response was useless! LOL

Just to add

some routers support loopback

some do not

am I to understand you have Milestone installed at two sites, when your on the WIFI on one of the sites it does not connect yet when your on the other it does?

if this is the case then the port forward is incorrect at the site it will not connect on, normally in routers it says something like:

Traffic from WAN, forward on port #### to port #### at IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on LAN interface, this is what is probably configured on your problem site...

if you wish to use the WAN IP to connect to that site the traffic rule/port forward needs to say

Traffic from WAN/LAN(all sources), forward on port #### to port #### at IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on LAN Interface

That's not what I read at all.

He has cams at site A

He has cams at site B

He is viewing at site C

When he's viewing at site C, he can view site A via wi-fi, but with site B he must switch to cellular.

The most likely explanation is that the port that he's using for access to his site A cams is blocked at site C.... they might have blocked or fire-walled the port in use.

This has nothing to do with NAT local loop capabilities, because if I understand correctly he is not viewing at the site that has the cameras.

Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry if I was not clear as I could have been.

VOIP Ninja is correct as far as my set up. I have mirror installations at two sites. Meaning same cameras, same brand of server and Milestone, same open ports at each of the two locations. The only differences are the ISP, modem, and router.

Site A with ATT

Site B with Comcast

Whenever I am at the office and trying to view Milestone remotely, I can view both sites via cellular. Site B will work over wifi, but Site A will not. How do I get Site A to be viewable over Wifi?

Thanks everyone for your input. Sorry if I was not clear as I could have been.

VOIP Ninja is correct as far as my set up. I have mirror installations at two sites. Meaning same cameras, same brand of server and Milestone, same open ports at each of the two locations. The only differences are the ISP, modem, and router.

Site A with ATT

Site B with Comcast

Whenever I am at the office and trying to view Milestone remotely, I can view both sites via cellular. Site B will work over wifi, but Site A will not. How do I get Site A to be viewable over Wifi?

You need to talk to the network administrators at your office... to find out if they are blocking that port or doing something with it.

Alternatively you can try switching things at Site A so that a different network port is in use.

It could also be something specific between the internet service provider for your work and Comcast.... they might be doing access control or other things with certain services on Comcast networks.

In short, you can't do anything yourself to fix this, you need to talk to your office network people.

To prove this out, I would be willing to bet that you can view both locations via wi-fi at other places that don't have strict network policies.

To put things in perspective, I have all kinds of issues using services like this at my work. They are hard asses and block/firewall/ACL all sorts of things in addition to monitoring how much bandwidth is being used by employees and what sites they go to.

So, I simply don't connect my personal devices to their stick-in-the-ass wi-fi network.

Thanks everyone.

What would explain why one location is not accessible over wifi at the office when they use the exact same ports. Only differences are router, hostname, and ISP?

At the office no. I work for a large company, so I doubt they will tell me any of this or help troubleshoot a non-business related issue such as this.

Thanks everyone.

What would explain why one location is not accessible over wifi at the office when they use the exact same ports. Only differences are router, hostname, and ISP?

Because

Corporate Wifi -> ISP -> Comcast

can have different rules and different routes than

Corporate Wifi -> ISP -> AT&T

The ports could be the same at the far end but the rule-set, etc, could be different. There could even be something at an ISP level (beyond your local network admins) affecting things.

Are you able to access the mobile server over a regular web browser to each location from your wired network at your office? That result would also be a clue, but no one here can fix this for you, you would have to talk to the network folks at your office.

How is the Security Camera system's routes not being setup correctly in the routers "not a business issue" if they are not helping due to it not setup correct, report it to the business owner.

Do you really think his employer will expend IT resources trying to get their corporate wifi working with his home security system? If anything they would be peeved at how much bandwidth he would use monitoring his cams.

hang on, I thought he was attempting to connect to his corporate security system, not his home one...

makes sense now.

you paid 15k to install 3 cameras at 2 locations, and you have to rely on a public forum to get things working, i wished i had the money to toss around for a problematic system as yours.

there might be a chance that the network at your work is not clearing out some sort of cache, but i'm no network expert. or something to do with the mobile app itself.

you paid 15k to install 3 cameras at 2 locations, and you have to rely on a public forum to get things working, i wished i had the money to toss around for a problematic system as yours.

there might be a chance that the network at your work is not clearing out some sort of cache, but i'm no network expert. or something to do with the mobile app itself.

I do a lot of network management, chances are they have out of band ports blocked, or unknown websites blocked or the likes.

I do a lot of network management, chances are they have out of band ports blocked, or unknown websites blocked or the likes.

Well, he's using the same port on both remote networks. It could be that they've made some association with that port with the far end IP and the other network isn't working as a result.

However, since it's working over wired ethernet at his work location the problem is more likely in some odd configuration issue with the wi-fi at his offices.