mhawk

Video baluns with power for cat5e?

Prices and quality are all over the place. I'm having trouble trying to pick out what to use. Cable runs will be 100 feet or less. I'd like them to be passive and with a power lead to power the cameras. That's not mandatory, but it looks like it makes for a cleaner setup?

Can anyone point me to a good quality set that they have used and are satisfied with? I really don't want to spend $20 a pair, but if I have to, so be it. My issue is if a $10 pair work just as well for my setup, then why not. I just don't have the experience to know which to buy, well besides not buying the really cheap units that have no circuitry in them.

Thanks

FWIW, I am using 4 pairs of these running both signal and power:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?p_id=6878

and have not experienced any issues for the $8.75 per pair. Worthy of note, is that the ends are a bit large, so your mounting hole at the camera end will likely need to be opened up a fair amount if you don't have access from inside the building.

Cheers,

YW84U

Thanks for the reply and info. I'll keep them in mind.

I wasn't really wanting to add rj45's to each end. I was thinking of using these;

229763_1.jpg

The $20 price tag is what really sets me back and makes me unsure.

These little devices can cause unending problems _ especially if installed in awkward to reach or high locations. We stopped using them ages ago - opting rather for the 4 or 8 channel type, strategically located in camera blocks, and running coaxial drop cables from the 4 channel distribution unit to the camera. We also are not fond of power over twisted pair.

For your short runs though, it's probably the only solution. I Have used every sort of balun, $1 and $2 oem devices from china and rarely had a problem with any of them, not sure if i would put that much thought into selecting the brand as a result.

Treat the budget as the end point rather than the start.

(1) Hire a professional well reputed security consultant to compile an operational requirement and technical specifications for your store. His mandate should be

not to pre-empt the solutions and hardware. (You can afford to mix and integrate cctv and other security devices in this install - perhaps even including business intelligence analytics such as people counting, etc -- it's nice to have the budget)

(2) Allow the Technical Specifications document to determine the type and specifciations of the equipment and solutions required.

(3) At purchase time - look to providers like Axis and Honeywell, with milestone.

(4) my preference would be just PC - you will have more power available for video, any analytics and integration.