Sign in to follow this  
RelaxIN

Outdoor Construction Site Design... Need your Thoughts...?

Hey guys/gals...

I want to get your opinion on an outside project that I'm doing for a client of mine. This is the first "big" outdoor project I've done on my own so I'm looking for some guidance on camera selection and configuration.

In summary, this is a construction site that has been plagued by battery theft among other things. Apparently thieves are coming into the yard after hours and stealing the batteries and scrap metal. My client is committed to allocating a budget of $5500 for the project. They will also be installing high-end floodlights throughout the yard. The floodlights will be mounted approximately 10 feet higher than the cameras.

$5500.00 budget allocation should include:

- (Qty..? ) Outdoor IP cameras, type, cases, mounting hardware, etc..

- PoE Switch (8/16) depending on the camera configuration

- NVR (8/16) depending on the camera configuration

- NVR 2TB HDD, Software; for motion recording, remote alerting, Iphone/Pads, etc..

- Install/Configuration/Test Labor

Provided by the client:

- High-end floodlights, light pole, mounting, electrical, timers, labor

- CAT 6a wiring, connectors, labor

- Highreach, tools, drilling, etc.. Will be provided by client

My questions are:

- Given the centerline distance and radius, I don't know that I can get away with one camera to adequately cover that area and still have a level of quality. I am expecting to have to add multiple cameras in one sector. Here is where I want to get your thoughts on the MP of the camera based on the area

- Additionally, I would normally implement box cameras and enclosures with heating, cooling, etc.. But I want to get your thoughts.

Please reference the 2 image links below for a birds eye view of the configuration that needs to be implemented. I have identified the areas by color and sector. Additionally, I have also documented the center point distance as well as the radius. Please disregard the yard images as they could not look like that today. There is heavy duty equipment both front and back and perimeter fenceing installed.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af3/Rickgsx/SectorA.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af3/Rickgsx/SectorD.jpg

Thank you for any input you can provide...

Rick

Camera systems are great for giving you video of what happened last night. you will be able to see a male wearing a hoodie and blue jeans but unless you have a suspect that someone recognizes good luck with apprehending the thieves.

As an alternative you need to get the police there while the crime is occurring. Check on Videofied with a few of their motion viewer scattered around the yard where the batterys are being taken from. A local machine shop had 5 weeks in a row of someone emptying their recycling dumpster before the recycling truck came to pick it up. They figured each dumpster was worth 3K to them in recycling. I installed one Videofied motion viewer and the local police have arrested thieves on 5 separate occasions since the install.

The Video is verified by the Central Station so when we dispatch the police know they get to arrest someone and isn't that why they took the job!

Believe me, we have put in hundreds of video systems but the frustration of the customer to be able to see the crime occur but not be able to identify the person because of lighting, weather,distance or camera view is tough to deal with.

I forgot to mention. Videofied is totally wireless and portable. wireless motion viewers reporting to a the control panel that reports to the central station via cellular or ip. you can move the motion viewers around the yard to protect different areas based on where trucks are parked.

There is a monthly cost to the monitoring and cellular but again catching the bad guys is worth it.