hotneutron

$899 Swann 8Ch w/ 4 1080P IP Camera back @ costco

I tried various bit rates to see where the fall off point would be and with 3MP at 15fps, I use 4096. Going higher like 8192 does not produce a significant difference.

It doesn't sound like the nvr will support this on 8 cameras. Without reducing the fps to a painfully slow level I won't be able record at a full 3mp.

If you do just a motion event triggered record, you can do use a full bit rate capture.

What's the bandwidth limit on the NVR? That's what you need to know to set the limit for the cams.

40 Mbps

So, pnyxxpress, at 40 Mbps total, you can run 8 cams at 4096 kbps, 6 cams at 6144 kbps, 4 cams at 8192 kbps, and so on. Just keep the (# of cams) * (bit rate) below 40Mbps, and you should be good. Likewise, running some at higher bit rates and some at lower is fine, as long as the total is below 40 Mbps. I'd keep a few Mbps free as a buffer.

In general, 4096 kbps will suppor 3MP at 15 fps with no problems. I never run higher than that, so if you want higher frame rates, you'll have to test and see.

Thanks. It's out of stock now. Hopefully it comes back soon.

As of this post it is in stock again. I have seen it go to out of stock twice. I ordered one on the 5th and it still shows only "order received" with no shipping. I hope I get one.

Edit: It is out of stock again, 3rd time. Strange.

Thanks. It's out of stock now. Hopefully it comes back soon.

As of this post it is in stock again. I have seen it go to out of stock twice. I ordered one on the 5th and it still shows only "order received" with no shipping. I hope I get one.

Edit: It is out of stock again, 3rd time. Strange.

Costco does that, there seems to be about a week delay between them updating the stock status on their website.

Joey / Zik / Others,

Is it possible that this Swann NVR actually records in 3 MP now, as opposed to 2MP for the older ones (like I own)?

From Costco:

•8 Channel NVR with 1080p high definition live viewing, playback & 3 megapixel recording.

•4 Indoor/outdoor cameras with 3 megapixel sensors and 115' night vision

•2TB hard drive

•PC & Mac Remote Viewing Capability

•iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry Viewing via Free App

•100' CAT5E Ethernet Cables per Camera Included

The other week they had two versions on their website.

Maybe there is a firmware update from swann directly that brings it inline with the hikvision firmware capabilities?

Joey,

Interesting - having both versions. Maybe they're selling out the older ones?? I did send an email to Swann asking about this - just tonight. I can only hope. Would love to improve the recorded images - although for 99% of my needs, I'm satisfied w/ 2MP.

Jim

I ordered the Swann/Costco system, 1 on 9/5 and another on 9/9. Both showed up today. Unboxing tonight, installing on Saturday. Hope it meets expectations.

Let us know what they say Jim.

Even though mine can use the 3MP, I still use the 1080p, suits my needs better.

Joey,

Swann says that there are hardware differences, and therefore the old (mine) cannot record at 3 MP via firmware upgrade. [Edit] - He also stated that the 3 MP is at 15 fps.

Jim

Joey,

Swann says that there are hardware differences, and therefore the old (mine) cannot record at 3 MP via firmware upgrade. [Edit] - He also stated that the 3 MP is at 15 fps.

Jim

Just got the "revised" version in. Board and processor is identical. Ill check the cameras, and firmware later tonight. Pretty sure its just a firmware deal.

Joey,

Jim

Just got the "revised" version in. Board and processor is identical. Ill check the cameras, and firmware later tonight. Pretty sure its just a firmware deal.

I would've guessed that too.