Sign in to follow this  
mshaffer

Would people pay to view a HD PTZ camera of a city?

I have a really good view of Washington DC from my balcony, do you think if I had a really high quality PTZ camera people would pay like a really small fee to view from it? Like $1 for a day to view etc..

To view and control for 30 min, you might be on to something.. If there is something to see.

I wouldn't but I am sure there are others who would.

To monetize something like that you need to sell it to a hotel, restaurant, realtor something like that where they would pay you so they can include the feed on their website or paid to advertise on your site. It's expensive to do properly as you need serious network bandwidth to pull it off with enough clarity to make people want to come to it. I know someone that does this locally, 1080P feeds from 3 PTZ cameras, live to anyone that connects to his site. I'll send you the link if you want.

I could see this working well as an iphone app, I mean it's super easy to do in-app purchases through the iphone and $.99 for an hour might attract some buyers.

To monetize something like that you need to sell it to a hotel, restaurant, realtor something like that where they would pay you so they can include the feed on their website or paid to advertise on your site. It's expensive to do properly as you need serious network bandwidth to pull it off with enough clarity to make people want to come to it. I know someone that does this locally, 1080P feeds from 3 PTZ cameras, live to anyone that connects to his site. I'll send you the link if you want.

Yea if you can send me the link that would be great.

Right now I have 25Mbps down and 5Mbps up. They have a plan which is 105/20.

I just took a video of the extent of the view, do you think there's enough there to look at?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIxNWCnEdeE

In my opinion no. To me, it's a typical view most people have from there balcony. It's mostly trees too. People like to look at people, traffic and general activity. There's just not enough of that in your view. If your camera was smack downtown on a high tower with min 180deg view you possibly might have a chance, but even then I'd still be doubtful ... once again, just my opinion. Nice looking neighborhood though.

I agree... Not much to see. Sorry.

I just took a video of the extent of the view, do you think there's enough there to look at?

In my opinion no. To me, it's a typical view most people have from there balcony. It's mostly trees too. People like to look at people, traffic and general activity. There's just not enough of that in your view. If your camera was smack downtown on a high tower with min 180deg view you possibly might have a chance, but even then I'd still be doubtful ... once again, just my opinion. Nice looking neighborhood though.

Well, from your first post I expected you to have a view into Obama's office. Or at least some, a nice view to any of the famous places on DC. From the youtube video, I also can't imagine why anyone would want to pay to have a peek fromyour balcony.

Well, from your first post I expected you to have a view into Obama's office.

LOL, that's what I thought too. I have a close-up view of a busy lake in So Cal, I can sit and watch people water skiing from my desktop all day, not sure anyone would pay for that though but maybe someone like a realtor would pay to use that live feed to draw people to their site, not that I want to, but something like that would make more sense due to the proximity to the action. If I had a lake view a mile away, it would not be as interesting.

230033_1.jpg

The thing is Washington DC has a height limit of 10 floors so this is basically the only place you can get a good view of the whole city. I posted a video last night of a NASA launch and it has over 10,000 views now.