Securitymaster

Licence plate

First of all, I researched the site and found no direct reference to what I need.

I'm doing an install on a property that has a underground garage. They want a camera to catch licence plate of each car entering and leaving the garage. The good is that is a closed garage, so the car will be still as it enters, for at least 15sec. To exit, it won't be able to do more than 3 mph.

The garage is built under the main building, so for a car to enter, they would have to drive down a driveway, tha'ts no more that 15 feet wide, with walls around it, so basically all the vehicles coming in or out have to follow the same exct path.

There is very very good lighting there so, I think that an IR won't be necesary, but will be installed if needed.

What I need is a good COLOR ARMOR DOME camera that will be able to handle the task, it will be installed on the wall right next to the gate, about 2-3 feet from the vehicle path.

Any suggestions?

The Extreme CCTV EX46CX6VA408 camera at the side of the lane facing the driver and passenger window (not head-on) for capturing the driver of the vehicles.

Then for licence plates, do they have their headlights on in this area? Or is it good enough lighting not to use them?

If they use headlights, look at a Wide Dynamic Dome ... such as the Pano, though i dont know how good it is for wall mounting.

If no headlights and alot of lighting (and no backlighting problems) then can use the same Extreme EX46CX dome above, or any other high res color dome. The CX versions are actually LXR CCDs which is also pretty good for getting rid of glare, from my previous test of an LXR camera.

"LXR is short for the ELIXIR sensor … or Enhanced Light Integrity for extended Infra-Red spectral response. This new generation CCD marks a Quantum advance in photopic response, IR response and dynamic range. The benefits are clear: no blooming, no streaking, no smearing. The applications are extremely interesting: night vision, vehicle monitoring, high speed surveillance, license plate reading. The CX-Series are based on Extreme CCTV’s LXR sensor equipped with IR-cut filters to block IR effects. All CX. cameras provide crisp, vivid color with wide dynamic range and excellent low light performance. CX cameras are not intended for performance under infrared light."

In any case you would probably need a 16mm lens but you should use a view finder to get the exact lens focal length requirement as depends on the distance from the Dome to the FOV.

Ofcourse Extreme has the following camera designed for exactly the application you are talking about: (Guaranteed to work) http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=38

There is also the WizKid WZ46K516 - 16mm fixed lens Color High Res Vandal Dome .. 360 degree gimble perfect for wall mounting, fairly inexpensive and 5 year non breakable guarantee.

Rory

I see that wizkid also makes a dome with IR built in, but from past experiences, I am very wary about using domes that have a ir built in, but being the company that it is, I think that I might just bite the bullet and pick one up to try out.

What about sanyo and GE domes?

Nah stay away from the WizKid IR domes, no IR Cut Filters.

Only come in the Extreme models, such as the EX45, EX40 and EX46.. MX versions, which is Day Night Exview, MNX versions include IR to approx 40'. The EX40MNX supposedly has new anti IR reflection built in, the reflection which is common in almost all other IR Domes.

rory

I was looking at 2 other cameras, the Nuvico NVCC-HVW, with the 9mm-22mm lens option, or the Panasonic WV-CW474AS.

Any recommendations?

I have had very good experiennce with the Panasonic. Easy to install, good Wide Dynamic Range.

No possibilities to use a body camera instead of dome?

If possible, I would go for the Panasonic CP484 with WDR and auto back focus. You can also make manual adjustment of the shutter speed (but no WDR then)

Regards

Jensen