I need to put an IP (ethernet camera outside). There is already a coaxial line running outside for the existing camera along with an 18 gauge power wire. I thought about using one of those ethernet to coaxial adapters but don't know how well they work. I would also like to run another camera to that area of the outside of the building.

The building is a hotel with drywall ceilings and I am looking at trying to find a wireless bridge that maybe 2 ethernet cameras could be attached to but I am not finding any. I dont think running new wire is an option due to having to possibly destroy the drywall unless there is a trick?

Most of the wire I run is always under drop ceilings so it is much easier.

Use the old coax to pull the new Ethernet cable. As for drywall, it's meant to be cut and repaired easy peasy. Find a good electrician and they have specialized tools to minimize damage to drywall. People get squeamish about this but it's not that bad. You are not destroying it, just cutting it up into pieces and then putting it back. You should see the amount of holes I put in a new high rise condo to install outlets for two wall mounted TV.

Well its about 50 to 100 feet so there might be a few holes. I'm afraid the coaxial cable may be siliconed in at a few spots

ever hear of the old saying think twice, cut once? Take alittle effort and run the proper wire for the right camera and you

will have less problems in the future.

They have flexible drill bits that are 8-12' long and many times they can drill to a point, make small hole to drill further and then patch the hole up with 5 minute patching compound and quick sand and spray texture, never know it was touched.

The best alternative and not necessarily cheaper than an electrician is to use Powerline adapters. I'm currently using the Trendnet version with that has an outlet in the front and I plug a wall plug style PoE injector into that. Works for me as I have couch in front of it to hide it. Powerline requires that both outlets be on the same leg of the 240VAC coming to the electrical panel.

Wireless is possible, but more involved as Powerline is plug and play, wireless requires some amount of setup work. What you need is a router than can act in "bridge mode". What I did in another home is get the extremely tiny Edimax BR-6258n micro router and put it in the wall in a flush enclosure that has an outlet in it in a closet. But with wireless you still need to get AC to power it and you still need a PoE injector, so not less messier than Powerline, just different.

Do you guys usually tell the business owner or client to get the drywal fixed themselves or do you offer to do it?

My electrician does a rough patch of the holes he makes, I come in after and sand it smooth, apply a skim coat over it, then apply texture myself. But each contractor is different.

Could be looking at doing job the hard way.

If it's a hotel it must already have some sort of network in place.

Also over the existing coax is fine for ip.

But if your looking at putting in cat5. I would talk to hotel owner and suggest full network of hotel instead of all that work for just one camera.