theos

DIY home surveilance systam

Hi, I really need some help.

I want to make a video surveillance system for 400 $. Main purpose of the system would be to watch how employees act when we are away. The environment is very dusty. There are at least 2 rooms, which must be monitored (6mx5m and 6mx12m). Also 1(or more) cam is needed for outside. There must be a possibility to access surveillance system from the internet. In the future (when I get extra money) I want to increase number of cams. I prefer ip cams. Any suggestions?

It's a nice to have security surveillance system in your home or office. But before buying it - you must have to take into consideration some important points for proper selection as listed below:

1. What is your budget?

2. Indoor or Outdoor

3. Does it need Infra-red illuminator?

4. It must be weatherproof and/or vandal proof?

5. What is estimated viewing angle?

6. It's preferred style must be as dome, bullet, cube or no preference?

7. Where are you looking to store recorded footage?

8. How are you looking to power the camera? E.g. Power Over Ethernet or via wall mains etc.

9. Lastly, What accessories might you need? Like a specific mounting bracket?, POE injector or switch? SD card? An NVR or NAS?

And more other consideration as per your place and needs.

i agree with sector on the budget thing, 400$ wont get you much, i mean i have 4 speed domes ir type on the house, retail £200each, a full d m sprite 2 with full net access which cost me a grand or so. with keyboard, plus the other 7 cams which are genie 5302 type cameras which retail at around £100 each so my system has cost me approx £2500 approx and that's just a domestic system in general outdoor/indoor conditions, if your environment requires dust proof housings and ir/or good vision, then you really need to up the amount your willing to spend.

One problem with the defined objective is this.

If you are away for one hour, and you have 4 cameras - you would need to review 4 hours of video footage for every hour you are away.

Sure you could spot check, or fast forward - but chances are you would only detect 1 in 10 instances of the behaviour you are looking for.

The major problem with that, is for every instance you detect and address, you are publicising to your staff, that the other 9 incidents went undetected. Might they be afraid of a system that has a 10% chance of catching them out.

One problem with the defined objective is this.

If you are away for one hour, and you have 4 cameras - you would need to review 4 hours of video footage for every hour you are away.

Sure you could spot check, or fast forward - but chances are you would only detect 1 in 10 instances of the behaviour you are looking for.

The major problem with that, is for every instance you detect and address, you are publicising to your staff, that the other 9 incidents went undetected. Might they be afraid of a system that has a 10% chance of catching them out.

Sorry I have to ask what calculator have you used to work that out.

4 cameras or 8 or 16 recording 1 houris still only 1 hour of footage

I didn't actually use a calculator.

If I record one hour of video footage in my store room, it would take me 1 hour to review the footage ----If I fast forward, or check only motion detection, I will be missing valuable events, Now if I switch over to watch the footage of my cashier, I will need another hour.

The example is given, observing footage of 1 camera at a time. Analysing multiple cameras at once, in terms of both the human attention span and the biology of human vision, is no better than spot checking .......

Hope That Helps