kmax1940

Calculating bandwidth for dahua camera

I am trying to use this calculator to figure out how much upload bandwidth we need.

http://www.stardot.com/bandwidth-and-storage-calculator

It asks for "average frame size" but I dont know what that is.

I dont see that setting in our camera.

I have these values:

Type = h264

Resolution = D1

Number of cams = 16

Frame rate per camera = 5

Any idea what I should put in for "average frame size"?

Thanks

You don't need this calculator for the dahua - this kind of thing was used for analog cams - but you can calculate an average frame size if you'd like.

Your bandwidth is set by the bit rate setting on the camera. If it's set for 4096 kb/s, that's your bit rate and your bandwidth, and you can calculate the storage requirements based on this as well. For instance, the storage size required per minute is:

((bit rate in kb per second)/8)*60 = MB/minute

To calculate an average frame size, record for a certain time (say 60 seconds). Multiply the frame rate times the seconds recorded, and that will give you the total frames. Divide the file size by the total frames, and that gives you the kB or MB per frame. Be aware of the differences between bits (small b) and bytes (capital B).

Thank you so much for the info.

So calculate how much upload speed we need from our ISP...

We just need to do:

4096 kb/s TIMES the number of cameras we have right?

Or actually 4096 kb/s TIMES the number of remote users we will have connected at one time.

Thanks

You don't need this calculator for the dahua - this kind of thing was used for analog cams - but you can calculate an average frame size if you'd like.

Your bandwidth is set by the bit rate setting on the camera. If it's set for 4096 kb/s, that's your bit rate and your bandwidth, and you can calculate the storage requirements based on this as well. For instance, the storage size required per minute is:

((bit rate in kb per second)/8)*60 = MB/minute

To calculate an average frame size, record for a certain time (say 60 seconds). Multiply the frame rate times the seconds recorded, and that will give you the total frames. Divide the file size by the total frames, and that gives you the kB or MB per frame. Be aware of the differences between bits (small b) and bytes (capital B).

This depends if the camera is set to CBR (Constant bitrate) or VBR (Variable bitrate).

I am glad you wrote back... I was not 100% clear on this.

They are set to CBR.

So if the bitrate is set to 1024kbps.

Then the upload speed would need 1Mbps for that one camera?

So 16 cameras would need 16Megs up... wow... plus overhead.

Do you know a good consultant for live streaming video like this?

We are trying to stream a decent quality out of these ip cams to a decent sized audience.

I have set up wowza... and it works.. .but there are some real bandwidth issue.

It seems like there is a missing piece to the puzzle.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.