Zohan

IP system - correct me if i'm wrong

I have a friend that owns a building and rents out the space. The company that rents the space doesnt want anything connected to their network. My friend wants an ip camera system.

I was thinking of a router and switch, but not connecting the router to the network but just using it to hand out ip addresses for the cameras.

I want to confirm this will work, in this self contained system....

Router >> switch>> cameras

^NVR

Yup, or you could just assign static IP's to the cameras and skip the router entirely.

I will have either 4 or more ip cams, with an nvr and the nvr hooked up to a display for real time viewing.

I thought the router was need to hand out ip's.....So it would still work without the router, just assign ip's to the cams? Then connect to nvr and there would be no issues with the nvr displaying all the cams on the display monitor?

Thanks

Just put them all in the same group and you will be good. If they are all 192.168.5.xxx or 10.1.10.xxx they will be fine. If youhave half of them one way and half the other... that will not work. If you just want to get the router for ease of setup that is fine too, they are cheap enough. I not recommend using low-end stuff here though because cameras will make it work harder than regular network traffic.

Just put them all in the same group and you will be good. If they are all 192.168.5.xxx or 10.1.10.xxx they will be fine. If youhave half of them one way and half the other... that will not work. If you just want to get the router for ease of setup that is fine too, they are cheap enough. I not recommend using low-end stuff here though because cameras will make it work harder than regular network traffic.

Great....thank you for the help

Another question.....I assume cat5e is ok and cat6 is overkill and not needed?

You can use cat5e with 100Mbps and cat6 with 1000Mbps, but the max distance cable is 90m + max cable assembly is 10m.