milkisbad

Hikvision NVR direct live view (lag/slow motion issue)

I would like some advice about the live view from a 32 ch NVR by Hikvision...

Even though it is the live view straight from the HDMI port of the NVR to the TV, there is still a very noticeable lag/stuttering. I understand the compression happens at the camera side and it is inherent in IP system that whatever the record frame-rate is set to will also be the live view frame-rate. Due to bandwidth issues, in order to have the highest quality picture, I have to compromise with a lower frame rate (I set this at 15fps). But the lag is like stop and go....not even 15fps. I have the bitrate mode set to Constant.

I also understand that when viewing many cameras at once, the NVR switch to the substream (as in a 4x4 configuration) I am going to try to set the substream to 30 fps @ D1 resolution and give it about 1000 kbps per camera.

I will check for any bottle necks at the network too, maybe they are using a cat5 cable from the poe switch to the router or the router can't handle it. and try to plug in the PoE switch to the Lan instead of to the router and see if the stuttering still happens.

My question is, do you have any advice or favorite settings regarding resolution/bitrate management on the NVR that gives you a smooth live view with great pictures?

I have to compromise with a lower frame rate (I set this at 15fps).

15 fps is a compromise? What is your application that 15 fps is a compromise?

It is a liquor store. I feel like many of our clients are still used to the full frames of live view of analog cameras and can't accept any lag of IP.

Total will be 21-22 x 1.3 mp cameras with 2-3 x 2MP thrown in there, the machine is for 32 ch and 8 built-in PoE.

The machine is rated at 160Mbps. This is kind of suspicious though, as before a firmware upgrade the machine was only rated at 80 Mbps. It seems like it is unreal that a firmware upgrade can double your bandwidth. But under Cameras, the 'Net Idle Bandwidth' says 160 Mbps now when no cameras plugged in.

The lag isn't there when you full-screen 1 camera and 15fps looks smooth, but just at the 4x4 screen the stuttering happens.

I typically set the cameras at 4000-5000 Kbps/Constant/Higher quality/ 15fps and highest resolution that the camera is rated at for main stream,

then 1000 kbps /constant/higher/15fps and D1 for sub-stream.

Thank you for your help!

It is a liquor store. I feel like many of our clients are still used to the full frames of live view of analog cameras and can't accept any lag of IP.

Big liquor store is it? The ones around here are mostly small and 21 mp cameras would be overkill- HIGHLY. Also about FPS, leave feelings out of it. That's YOUR feelings, I'm guessing. 15fps will make any average person feel like they're viewing perfectly acceptable full motion- even those with a good eye would be fine with a smooth 15fps. Heck even 10fps gives a completely reasonable feeling of smooth video. But that's just satisfying the eye, or should I say, the brain. 5fps is fine too and even 1fps should not be counted out as usable in terms of surveillance. We're not talking netflicks here.

5fps is fine too

+1

5 fps should be sufficient for a surveillance system in a liquor store, and you could likely make do with less.

With that many cameras, you need to look at your network topography. You are likely pushing the limits of GigE. I would use all GigE PoE switches or at least 100Mb switches with GigE uplinks with no more than 8 cameras per switch with 100Mb.

Total will be 21-22 x 1.3 mp cameras with 2-3 x 2MP thrown in there, the machine is for 32 ch and 8 built-in PoE.

The machine is rated at 160Mbps. This is kind of suspicious though, as before a firmware upgrade the machine was only rated at 80 Mbps. It seems like it is unreal that a firmware upgrade can double your bandwidth. But under Cameras, the 'Net Idle Bandwidth' says 160 Mbps now when no cameras plugged in.

The lag isn't there when you full-screen 1 camera and 15fps looks smooth, but just at the 4x4 screen the stuttering happens.

I typically set the cameras at 4000-5000 Kbps/Constant/Higher quality/ 15fps and highest resolution

How are the cameras connected via daisy chained switch to the built in POE switch? or via the LAN port?

The POE ports are 100 Mbps, the LAN is 1Gbps port, on my smaller model.

On the latest firmware for a lower powered model, the number of streams on the NVR were reduced to 2 from 3. It could be the same with your NVR.

I typically set the cameras at 4000-5000 Kbps/Constant/Higher quality/ 15fps and highest resolution that the camera is rated at for main stream,

then 1000 kbps /constant/higher/15fps and D1 for sub-stream.

Thank you for your help!

720 camera should be about 1Mbps per camera and 1080 cameras should be between 6-8Mbps

This would give you about 50Mbps total coming in from the cameras.

720P is half 1080P, wouldn't that be half the bandwidth, 3-4Mbps vs. 6-8Mbps. Also, that assumes h.264, could be double/triple that with MJPEG for example.

720P is half 1080P, wouldn't that be half the bandwidth, 3-4Mbps vs. 6-8Mbps. Also, that assumes h.264, could be double/triple that with MJPEG for example.

The numbers I gave are using H.264 compression and are real world numbers that I see.