Sign in to follow this  
Swann Tech

Swann IP camera standalone documentation (basic)

Hi guys,

I know some of you have already worked this out, but I was personally unhappy with the lack of documentation with the separate IP cameras, especially considering these cameras can operate without a dedicated recorder. I finally convinced management that the cameras could do with some more documentation regarding basic setup when operating without an NVR. So I was able to dedicate some time to writing a basic guide.

Here's the first run.

Setup guide

And you'll need the software.

Software

The guide is not, or meant to be, exhaustive. Particularly when connecting to other devices (dedicated and software NVRs) the cameras are essentially slave devices and need to be told what settings to use. This should open up the cameras for you to be able to make the necessary changes.

Suggestions and feedback welcome. I am limited in the scope of what can be covered though.

This is great!! I will buy the 1080p varifocal dome camera again and give it a try. I like the features of that camera but I couldn't get it to work.

Thanks

This looks like a good tool that mimics what most IP cameras allow in a web browser so I must ask. After DHCP is enabled, can I access the camera in IE or can it only be configured with the SwannView Plus?

Thanks very much!

I would suggest at least a bulleted list of advanced features with one-liner descriptions, if you can't get into detail.

My NVR8-7200 system doesn't list the camera IPs at all. The only device I ever see is the NVR itself. I will have to try resetting the camera IPs manually.

I really wish we could access the Day/Night settings.

Hi Dave,

That's because the NVR has 2 NICs. You need to have your PC connected to the camera ports to see the cameras.

The other option is to connect a cable from your router to the camera ports on the NVR.

Hi atari,

You don't need to enable DHCP to use the web browser. That function is always enabled.

I went through the DHCP configuration mainly to mimic most other network devices' functionality.

Hi atari,

You don't need to enable DHCP to use the web browser. That function is always enabled.

I went through the DHCP configuration mainly to mimic most other network devices' functionality.

In that case, what is the default IP address of the camera?

For a network novice yeah but I'm a network admin so when it comes to networking, I like to know what all my options are. Had I known the default IP address of the camera, I would have configured the basic stuff within seconds and not have to worry about installing anything.

I think you guys go through too much trouble of hiding the IP address plus I've not read one good reason why manufacturers disable DHCP by default.

Thanks for this. Do you or anyone else have a link to the manual for the SwannView Plus+ PDF Manual. I'm unable to locate it on Swann's website.