KozmoK

Video Clean Up Software

Hello,

I had some young teenagers go into my garage and go through my vehicles steal some cash, and a few other things, all while I was up Inside the other room. I had my garage door opened and that was there in. I found out later they broke into two other vehicles down my street.

The footage is too grainy for them to identify the kids, I was wondering if anyone knew of any software or ways to clean up at least a snapshot.

I have a Lorex NVD 1080p IP system.

Here are the two videos :

Is there anyway to clean these up? I am a noob and don't own photoshop or know where to begin. The police say its pretty hard to identify the kids from the footage.

Any help would be good, as my neighborhood has been the target of these break ins for the last 2 years.

@mindTwist

They go in empty handed and gou out with stuff in their hands. That is footage of stealing.

Do not expect miracles, you can clean up the footage but I am too much a novice in that area. I do not think better footage will help you. You got more than most would have. A description from some neighbour is less accurate than this. I think your real problem is with the police. They do not like to deal with this kind of criminality and tend to find all kinds of excuses to do nothing. The sad reality is that dealing with this (even when they solve the case) does not increase their status and they would rather ignore your case and do other tasks or cases.

The stuff you see on CSI and NCIS is complete and total BS... does not exist! Better lighting or installing a door open sensor that sends you an alarm thru the NVR would be a good start.

The suggestion of interior cameras is also an excellent one because any half decent lawyer would be able to argue that these kids did not steal anything and perhaps left their scooter on the side of your house earlier... how can you disprove it? Cameras watching the actual valuables is quite a big deal when it comes to prosecution!

While all of us here will know that they did steal the "patinete" (I don't even know how to say that in english, it was a scooter?), the footage would not be good for much with the police. As ssnapier said, they could just say that earlier that day they had left it by your house because some other kid was chasing them, whatever. You do not have any footage of them stealing anything, so they could make up any history that fits what is recorded.

Also; the footage won't be of much use the the cops if they do not know who are the ones recorded. Do not expect them to have a database of faces that will give them their names and addresses.

If you did know who those kids were, of course it would be more than enough to go have a talk with their parents, so you could hopefully get the scooter back, and have them get reprimended.

What a rubbish.

The software exists. Seen it myself in real-life. It enhances the image a little, just do not expect much of it. It does not work as well as in the TV seies.

You see them enter a garage empty-handed and come out with goods in their hands. That is much more than reasonable suspicion of theft. If you can describe in detail the goods they have under them and can back that up they are done for. The problem is the police usually does not like to do much in these cases. And that attitude is the sad limiting factor in getting an investigation started and therefore in getting your belongings back.

Wow, back in May i had about $3500 worth of musical equipment and other things stolen out of my garage. I now have cameras on the side of the garage entering and one INSIDE the garage as well. Its true the cops don't want to do ANYTHING in these types of cases. I even had these two suspects try and sell a few things to a music store. The owner of the store got the license plate number of the guys trying to sell my equipment. I gave it to the cops thinking here we go.! I got them a lead.. Cops did nothing from what i can tell, they dont care

Wow, back in May i had about $3500 worth of musical equipment and other things stolen out of my garage. I now have cameras on the side of the garage entering and one INSIDE the garage as well. Its true the cops don't want to do ANYTHING in these types of cases. I even had these two suspects try and sell a few things to a music store. The owner of the store got the license plate number of the guys trying to sell my equipment. I gave it to the cops thinking here we go.! I got them a lead.. Cops did nothing from what i can tell, they dont care
Sadly that is a standard story.

Some victims go the way of installing CCTV equipment in the hope that will help, only to find out te next time that that is not the problem.

The standard answer is to write a letter to ask for the names of the officers involved in the case, what is done with the information provided, the status and progress of the case. At the same time (or you can wait for an answer) write another letter to file a formal complaint. After that sometimes it is necessary to call the officers connected with the case every week to inquire into the progress. If you have a licence plate you can ask a PI to compile a court case and submit it to the proscecuter directly, bypassing the police.

Hi Robin.

there are many things to take into account which I think you are missing.

first is CCTV is used as evidence and it has to be 100% right. it cant be guess work ..... which is what poor images give.

CCTV evidence is also information collection .... police will and would start an investigation if any of the cctv information is 100% and something for them to start work on.

Police cant go on guess work (it costs THEM a fortune in compensation) in the UK and soon to be put into effect in Canada CCTV has to be fit for purpose before it can be used as evidence

Hi Tomcctv,

I am happy to discuss this but I do not think I am missing anything.

I agree that when CCTV is installed quality is important and it is often below standard because of using wrong equipment or not instaling it the right way. Relying on something that does not deliver can be the worst thing.

On the other hand it must not be overstated because CCTV evidence is not a requirement and nobody will be convicted by CCTV footage without other evidence. After witnessing yourself over hundred strong cases of police refusing to do anything I think you would rethink your statement.

Something like Photoshop may be helpful. We use it a lot in doing some basic work for our local law enforcement agencies. I also have access to an Ocean Systems dTective system. But I have worked on it for hours, and then did some basic stuff in photoshop back here at my office, and I could not tell the difference between the two. My job assisting law enforcement has become even less useful since VHS went away, and was replaced by digital. A pixel is a pxiel period. You can play with contrast and sharpeness a lot, but sometimes it just gives you a "different kind of bad look". Very subjective.

CCTV helped me to convict a neighbor who tried to do a home invasion at my other residence and has threatened me throughout the years. They went for a PC422 because he threatened to kill me outside my house. Himself and four other gang bangers..everything is on tape. The prosecutor said it was the video surveillance that convicted him. The night of the incident cops came in my house to view the footage so they could make the arrest. They thought it was great i had the cameras. I do agree about the quality of the system though.. This was just one of those 8 channel Q-see systems from costco that helped me.

Hi,

Sorry was on vacation for a week and didn't have internet access.

I am going to Lower my cameras 4 ft. and add better lighting. My Lorex model does not have a alarm trigger port. Its a Lorex LNR280

I ordered a wifi LiftMaster MQ to hook up to my unit so It auto shuts after 5,10 min, and has a App for Iphone.

They have a garage Hawk - but its wired, and very simple/basic.

I am waiting for a call back from the police who took the video to the middle school down the street to see if they recognise anyone.

Thanks all!

Edited by Guest

This looks interesting for cleanup software. http://www.motiondsp.com/

I emailed them. Looks like they sell the software to do it. I'd like to find a online service that I can hire to clean it up for me.

Buying the software package probably is very expensive.

Their demo's on the website are awesome.