Sign in to follow this  
Robin2

Axis camera lenses tip

In the Axis 206 and 207 series one could simply exchange the lens for a M12 board lens. Even the megapixel ones. Simply by unscrewing the lens without opening anything and screwing in the new lens. You could give the camera's basically any view angle from super wide angle to super tele by using widely available cheap lenses. And it works perfectly.

Now there is the new M10XX series. Has anyone tried to change lenses on these series? I heared it can be done but someone claimed you need an adapter.

Has anyone a tip on it?

Are all M10XX series constructed equal lens wise?

From what I've seen on my M10 series cameras it's glued in. What I recommended in past is to glue on a ring from a camcorder telephoto or wide angle lens kit and then screw on the lenses. This is what people did to change focal length on Flip cameras. The one person I recommended this too did it and was happy. Go on YouTube and search for flip lens hack.

Is the gluing of the lens defined by having adjustable focus? Is your model a M1011 or M1054 wich has no adjustable focus?

M1004-W adjustable focus

M1013 adjustable focus

M1014 adjustable focus

M1011-W - -

M1033-W adjustable focus

M1034-W adjustable focus

M1054 - -

I like to use these cams in places with little space. A camcorder lens will put on thickness, changing the lens will not.

Even the ones with adjustable focus present a hurdle.

The boad lens is fixed to a aluminium ring. It is this aluminium ring that screws into the Axis camera. The aluminium ring is used to adjust the focus. So an adapter is needed to use other lenses.

1 Does anyone know how the lens is connected to the aluminium ring and how to get them apart without damaging anything? Is it glued, mecanically crimped, or ....

2 Or does anyone know where the spare aluminium rings can be bought?

Could be the newer ones have adjustable focus, didn't try it when I reviewed the M1014, but mine are first generation, M1031-W and M1011-W and it's not adjustable.

The M1011 is said to be non-adjustable so could be completely glued.

I do not know about the M1031W

The M1014 is advertized as focus adjustable so the aluminium ring should be rotatable (screwable). They do not say this to be only true since some change so I suspect all M1014 models to be focus adjustable.

It still leaves the question what should be the best way to seperate the silver coloured plastic part from the board lens which would enable us to exchange the standard lens for any standard M12 size lens.

Tried to unscrew the m12 Board lens from the silver coloured adapter. It seems so stuck that I am afraid to destruct the adapter when removing it. Any suggestions?

Or does anyone know where to buy an adapter?

The M12 thread on the outside of the lens is converted to a bigger thread with the threads on the inside.

On the axis budget 206 and 207 series it was easy to change the lens. You could simply unscrew the lens and screw in another lens. Easy way to change the field of view to more wide angle or tele. The M12 lenses are widely available everywhere in all sorts and kinds and from super wide to super tele. The quality of cheap aftermarket lenses was often even better than the original lens. Even increasing night-vision capabilities was easy.

The successor is the M10XX series camera's which has nice quality megapixel versions for a very decent price. Bummer is they are sold with one lens. Usability greatly increases when that lens can be exchanged.

The camera has a lens that can be unscrewed by turning the silver coloured plastic adapter and lens (it is made for it, that is the adjustable focus function).

When unscrewed you can see the M12 lens has its threads on the outside as usual. The camera now has its threads also on the outside.

A yellow metal ring is incorporated in the plastic adapter. It inverts the outside threads of the M12 lens to inside threads.

The problem is how to separate the M12 lens from the adapter. Force did not seem tot help getting the M12 lens and the adapter apart, it seems firmly glued or something similar.

Another option is getting another adapter. But what size is the camera thread and where to find one? Any help is appreciated.

3b.jpg.77a2b50a0302e0df8cacb210337d161f.jpg

2.jpg.151b24318377c1fa9eb951226b722404.jpg

1.jpg.2eebc76453337cbd91a90c573eafe688.jpg

How best to seperate the plastic adapter from the M12 lens?

Or (even better) where to get an adapter with the right threads?

Does anyone know what the standard thread size on the adapter/ camera is called?

How best to seperate the plastic adapter from the M12 lens?

Or (even better) where to get an adapter with the right threads?

Does anyone know what the standard thread size on the adapter/ camera is called?

Anyone an idea?

The thread is what is on M12 board lenses. There's a good variety on M12lenses.com. If you want cheap and you don't mind waiting a month or more, dx.com has a good selection.

Yes the lens is a M12 board lens.

But the camera does not take the thread directly. That is where the adapter comes in. Therefore the adapter needs to be disconected from the lens. but it is bonded very strong. Does anyone know how to seperate the lens from the adapter?