luckyfella

Can you guess the analog?

Should we all stop port forwarding our dvr/nvrs now?

No! There is absolutely no risk that your whole IP camera system could be compromised. Congratulate yourself for being so clever and sleep well tonight. But remember, if you open the ports on just a single camera ... you are SCREWED!

You guys can continue discussing this, I'm finished.

btw luckyfella, your original post was fun and interesting to see. Thanks for that.

What I do is just leave the NVR port open. When and if I need to make a camera adjustment, I remote it (teamviewer) to the customers pc, and make the change. Many of my installs are running blue iris on a dedicated pc, so i install logmein...problem solved.

Edited by Guest

Btw lucky- the bellport job ended up not happening. They got a foscam indoor wireless camera. I'll keep you posted for anything else. I'm working on scoring a huge estate down in the same area.

Should we all stop port forwarding our dvr/nvrs now?

Ideally you should us a VPN

At least this will narrow it down to just the NSA having access to your system

Welcome back Chuckyyyy !

not really back....I lurk but it's all the same el cheapo stuff that this site has seemed to turn into. Don't want to comment on the design copying Dahua cams or the Swann, Lorex etc big box store systems that my grand mother can go purchase on her way to buy milk at the grocery store the ones who buy those can call the toll free number in the instruction manual and ask the expert on the other end of the line how to connect there $300 megapixel ip camera system so that they can see which dog is pooing in their rose garden

Before I get hate replies....I'm just joking around...we all learn someplace and at least people are trying to get some good advise. Frustrates me when some folks reply who have no friggen clue what they are talking about but at the same time I guess is the reason why I'm in business. So all you folks who give bad advise keep doing it because it's good business...

Peace

Welcome back Chuckyyyy !

not really back....I lurk but it's all the same el cheapo stuff that this site has seemed to turn into. Don't want to comment on the design copying Dahua cams or the Swann, Lorex etc big box store systems that my grand mother can go purchase on her way to buy milk at the grocery store the ones who buy those can call the toll free number in the instruction manual and ask the expert on the other end of the line how to connect there $300 megapixel ip camera system so that they can see which dog is pooing in their rose garden

Before I get hate replies....I'm just joking around...we all learn someplace and at least people are trying to get some good advise. Frustrates me when some folks reply who have no friggen clue what they are talking about but at the same time I guess is the reason why I'm in business. So all you folks who give bad advise keep doing it because it's good business...

Peace

Funny, you say you're joking around, but your knock the $300 ip camera....as if the fact that they only cost 300 is a problem. The prices are coming down, the quality is going up....The benefits of a 1500-3000 camera are marginal for the average person or business (just a few years ago it was all analog). For about a grand the average home user or small business can have a system in place that would have cost 15k several years ago. I don't see the problem....unless of course its the fact that installers can no longer get away with overcharging for their work as they have been doing for the past 30 years, cctv, alarm, phone systems.....

Funny, you say you're joking around, but your knock the $300 ip camera....as if the fact that they only cost 300 is a problem. The prices are coming down, the quality is going up....The benefits of a 1500-3000 camera are marginal for the average person or business (just a few years ago it was all analog). For about a grand the average home user or small business can have a system in place that would have cost 15k several years ago. I don't see the problem....unless of course its the fact that installers can no longer get away with overcharging for their work as they have been doing for the past 30 years, cctv, alarm, phone systems.....

What is your definition of overcharging?

What is your definition of overcharging?

Charging two 2-3 times the actual cost of the cameras/nvr + what amounts to 300per hour labor rates, when generally you pay someone 15 bux an hour to run cable and maybe 30 if they know how to program the ip stuff. Yes I know there are other costs to running a business etc etc.... Ive seen posts here where home users were charged anywhere form 7.5k to 15k for a four camera system....that's outrageous. Now if someone pays you that rate fine. But now, us small business owners and home users, can go out and buy a quality system for under 1k (swann Costco system as an example) or the Blue iris systems I build for my small businesses for about 1k....yes it wont have all the features that an aviglion system will, but it will come VERY close at a fraction of the cost. ive seen the video comparisons there is very little advantage of going with the high end systems....

now with acti releasing 5mp and 10mp cameras for under 300 bux the line is even more blurred.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1882

look, the expensive systems may have a place in large installations like malls, hotels, etc...but for the homeowner and small business person, its WAY overkill.....

It was the same way with phone systems and alarms until the tech caught up so that we can manage it ourselves. I remember when we needed to pay for a 150 service call every time a change needed to be made to our pbx system or something as simple as adding a new line....its over.

But now, us small business owners and home users, can go out and buy a quality system for under 1k (swann Costco system as an example) or the Blue iris systems I build for my small businesses for about 1k.

Can I ask you ?

what kinda business do you run ?

thanks

yes it wont have all the features that an aviglion system will, but it will come VERY close at a fraction of the cost. ive seen the video comparisons there is very little advantage of going with the high end systems....

Spoken like someone that has NEVER used a professional solution.

Image quality is not bad on the cheap cameras but we don't sell cameras we sell solutions. You can have the best image quality in the world and if you can search/export video very quickly the system is useless.

yes it wont have all the features that an aviglion system will, but it will come VERY close at a fraction of the cost. ive seen the video comparisons there is very little advantage of going with the high end systems....

Image quality is not bad on the cheap cameras but we don't sell cameras we sell solutions. You can have the best image quality in the world and if you can search/export video very quickly the system is useless.

And...we don't leave all the ports open...

300 dollars is a generous number and Retail not cost!

And...we don't leave all the ports open...

+1

The image quality on the cheaper cameras is on par with Avigilon when comparing the same megapixel camera. I don't run a retail store front. We have office space. I very rarely have to review video and when I do, its damn easy with blue iris. Please tell me how a "professional solution" will be any better. For home use its a non issue, there is no benefit to using Avigilon or any other over priced stuff. Again, we are not talking about a retailer like walmart etc (who btw still use 11 year old systems).... You guys just poopoo the cheaper stuff because you are afraid of your business eroding.

Tell you what fenderman....this past week we ran about 2000' feet of wire in a building face down in blown cellulose. You are darn right we charged over 30 per hour to run cables and you want to know how much we charged.....I'll tell ya.....$100 per hour cause I had two techs in that crazy attic. Didn't see the customer wanting to jump in that attic, and oh the building we worked in is an old building with open electrical boxes and live wires all over the place, I drilled a hole in the soffit and my tech snapped a picture of how I skinned a 400amp mains pvc jacket with my drill bit that was illegally run through a two layer soffit no one knew about.

Those that want to do this themselves and go purchase a budget system are customers or people I'd rather not deal with anyway. And if they call me for help it's an easy $75 per hour for ignorance to save a penny. This is my lively hood, I have employees who are not collecting from the state and we charge what is fair and that pays for our vehicles, insurance, mortgage and rent. I had a customer call me this morning on a Sat when I was having my coffee and they are only 1 mile down the road from me. He had a burg system that was not installed by me but I fixed his issue in less than 5 min....again easy $75 and why....service in a jiffy and you bet your arse had he called my competitor it would have been a couple bills I'm sure.

Conversations like this are the reason why I don't comment on here much anymore. I gotta eat man so if someone on here don't know how to configure an IP system then go pick up a book or get advice from someone else willing to share what they have learned over the years. I pay for our education as well as my tech and we travel where ever we need to go to get it. Why the hell should I give what I paid for away for free.

Just please make sure you DMZ your servers so that I can charge for a service call to go fix the tard mistake

Signing off again for a while.

Peace Out

Tell you what fenderman....this past week we ran about 2000' feet of wire in a building face down in blown cellulose. You are darn right we charged over 30 per hour to run cables and you want to know how much we charged.....I'll tell ya.....$100 per hour cause I had two techs in that crazy attic. Didn't see the customer wanting to jump in that attic, and oh the building we worked in is an old building with open electrical boxes and live wires all over the place, I drilled a hole in the soffit and my tech snapped a picture of how I skinned a 400amp mains pvc jacket with my drill bit that was illegally run through a two layer soffit no one knew about.

Those that want to do this themselves and go purchase a budget system are customers or people I'd rather not deal with anyway. And if they call me for help it's an easy $75 per hour for ignorance to save a penny. This is my lively hood, I have employees who are not collecting from the state and we charge what is fair and that pays for our vehicles, insurance, mortgage and rent. I had a customer call me this morning on a Sat when I was having my coffee and they are only 1 mile down the road from me. He had a burg system that was not installed by me but I fixed his issue in less than 5 min....again easy $75 and why....service in a jiffy and you bet your arse had he called my competitor it would have been a couple bills I'm sure.

Conversations like this are the reason why I don't comment on here much anymore. I gotta eat man so if someone on here don't know how to configure an IP system then go pick up a book or get advice from someone else willing to share what they have learned over the years. I pay for our education as well as my tech and we travel where ever we need to go to get it. Why the hell should I give what I paid for away for free.

Just please make sure you DMZ your servers so that I can charge for a service call to go fix the tard mistake

Signing off again for a while.

Peace Out

Chuck for President !

AK, what is that brown stuff on your nose?

Are u trying to be funny ?

u have to do better

plus i don't usually respond to amateurs

The image quality on the cheaper cameras is on par with Avigilon when comparing the same megapixel camera. I don't run a retail store front. We have office space. I very rarely have to review video and when I do, its damn easy with blue iris. Please tell me how a "professional solution" will be any better. For home use its a non issue, there is no benefit to using Avigilon or any other over priced stuff. Again, we are not talking about a retailer like walmart etc (who btw still use 11 year old systems).... You guys just poopoo the cheaper stuff because you are afraid of your business eroding.

fenderman I am not afraid if my business eroding from the cheap stuff. I don't do residential anymore systems and I have no plans to do so in the future. Clearly by your statements you have never used or installed solutions for large customers. If you walked into one of my customers with Dahua and Blue Iris they would laugh you out the door.