CrownSeven

Swann NVR8-7200 getting the audio to work?

Before I give Swann a call, does anyone here know if something special needs to be done to get the audio working on this NVR? I see the settings in the software to turn on audio, but am not receiving any audio feed from any of the cameras.

This may be a dumb question, but do the cams have microphones or audio inputs? The NHD-820 cams that are bundled with this NVR don't have either.

This may be a dumb question, but do the cams have microphones or audio inputs? The NHD-820 cams that are bundled with this NVR don't have either.

Not a dumb question at all. And you are right just checked the specs on the cameras and they don't have microphones built in. So I guess that explains why the audio does not work.

Wondering what the secondary jack on the camera is for then, speaker maybe?

I have the similar NVR but from another OEM and there's audio in/out rca jacks on the back of the NVR and I assumed it would be audio at the NVR level, meaning you have one mic input and one speaker out to work with. The specs say - Two-way Audio: 1-ch RCA(2.0Vp-p, 1kΩ). Couldn't find anything in the manual that specifies how to record or play back audio for the NVR vs. a specific camera with that functionality.

Couldn't find anything in the manual that specifies how to record or play back audio for the NVR vs. a specific camera with that functionality

You probably can't. With a dahua NVR, the two way in the NVR does not get recorded. You must have an audio camera in line, with a mic hooked up to it of course, to record audio/picture together. I'm sure it's the same for swann.

So, anyone know if adding a camera with audio capabilities to the Swann 7200 will enable audio recording? I guess that one would have to run a separate cable from the camera's audio-out plug back to the NVR RCA jack?

Well, we're going to find out - I bought a 75-foot RCA cable and will hook camera audio up from the Hik 752 dome cam I'm using to the back of the Swann 7200 (RCA audio-in jack). Just as soon as I get the dang camera back under control - it got reset to all-defaults and I can see it on the network (via laptop), but can't change the config at the moment for some reason.

As far as I know, the RCA connections are for the intercom mode only. That is 2-way audio between PC/phone and whatever is connected to the RCA jacks on the NVR.

You'll notice in the software the old-style microphone icon? That's what enables/disables the feature.

Typically you hook up a powered CCTV mic to the camera itself. The camera actually encodes the audio to the video. You do not run rca back to the rca of the nvr for recording purposes in this instance.