icom102

IP vs HD SDI

Im thinking of upgrading my analog cctv system and im wondering which is the best to go for IP or HD SDI?

what do you guys think ?

ip, way more options. SDI is very limited and more expensive. Unless you have problems running new Ethernet cable, go with ip.

ip, way more options. SDI is very limited and more expensive. Unless you have problems running new Ethernet cable, go with ip.
I agree with this but regarding stability it always amazes me how stable and trouble-free analog runs in use compared to IP.

Im thinking of upgrading my analog cctv system and im wondering which is the best to go for IP or HD SDI?

what do you guys think ?

If you have existing coaxial runs, SDI is the way to go. Most people have a misconception that SDI is more expensive than IP, including myself until just a couple of months ago.

Totally false statement

Edited by Guest

I agree with this but regarding stability it always amazes me how stable and trouble-free analog runs in use compared to IP.

What IP systems are you using that are not stable?

what do you guys think ?

If you have existing coaxial runs, SDI is the way to go.

assuming your old cable isn't crappy or damaged... and assuming it's actual rg59/rg6 coax rather than the little thin all-in-one bundle that came with your old costco kit.

well it would not be a problem to run new cable is there any difference in the picture quality has anyone got picture samples?

?

Coax is a seperate system. IP tends to be integrated with other (data / voice) communication. If changes to the IP system are made the CCTV is temporarily out or problems can arise from changes made because of changes or additions in data or voip connections. Multipurpose use of IP can lead to timing or capacity issues. I witness that sometimes an IP camera connection can get disconnected, only to reconnect seconds or minutes later.

If you have a separate system to collect and store CCTV that can be an advantage.

Coax is a seperate system. IP tends to be integrated with other (data / voice) communication. If changes to the IP system are made the CCTV is temporarily out or problems can arise from changes made because of changes or additions in data or voip connections. Multipurpose use of IP can lead to timing or capacity issues. I witness that sometimes an IP camera connection can get disconnected, only to reconnect seconds or minutes later.

If you have a separate system to collect and store CCTV that can be an advantage.

We almost never us the customers network.

I haven't priced them recently, but last I checked, hd-sdi cameras and the DVR were slightly more money than an NVR and IP cameras of the same brand. At least you can use the old power supplies if your upgrading an old analog system though.

what do you guys think ?

If you have existing coaxial runs, SDI is the way to go.

assuming your old cable isn't crappy or damaged... and assuming it's actual rg59/rg6 coax rather than the little thin all-in-one bundle that came with your old costco kit.

^^That.

Totally false statement

I second that!

Looks good my cctv guy wants me to install 700 tvl cameras saying the cost of hd or ip is way to expensive as for me i know dam all about them

My main problem is i have no light round my house at night so i need something that will work will with no light at night whatys the options?

My main problem is i have no light round my house at night so i need something that will work will with no light at night whatys the options?

Irrespective of whether you choose IP or SDI, they both have IR camera that you can use for night vision.

My cctv guy says no matter what i use i wont get great night time viewing with out having to install lighting hay does cameras have irs if you need to put in lighting to light the place up

My cctv guy says no matter what i use i wont get great night time viewing with out having to install lighting hay does cameras have irs if you need to put in lighting to light the place up

Well, he is right in a certain kind of way, if you have good lightings when your HD camera capture the events, it will be in color. If not you will only see black & white like this.

232392_1.png

I don't mind black and white but he says i will see nothing at all with out lighting the place up i had stills from my camera but where in my pc at work i must get them tomorrow and let yous see what i have at present

Ok finally heres stills from my current cctv cam one is the only camera that has Irs

208061_2.jpg

208061_4.jpg

208061_6.jpg

208061_8.jpg

208061_1.jpg

208061_3.jpg

208061_5.jpg

208061_7.jpg

whats your opions?

Ok finally heres stills from my current cctv cam one is the only camera that has Irs

whats your opions?

How long has this camera been install? It will have some improvement if you clean up the glass a bit. Also, cam 2, 3 & 4 is pointing at a light source at night so might need to be re-position. Definitely if you change to SDI or IPC IR @1080p it will be 4 times better.

it was installed three years ago cam 3 that's the sky camera 2 with that light off its worse and camera 4 is the same light when its off its just black the system cost £1400

it was installed three years ago cam 3 that's the sky camera 2 with that light off its worse and camera 4 is the same light when its off its just black the system cost £1400

If that's the case you can install new SDI or IP Camera and off all the lights. Stay green to help our environment