Larry1

Experience with different brands of cams?

Still new to this forum, so bear with me

What brands of cameras do you guys find "most" reliable for the buck? We find that the term reliability is hard to place with any brand thus far. So far this is what we have experienced:

Acti:

Bought two bullets and they both had jerky video after a year of usage. Got turned off of Acti after that (not to mention, 18FPS is rather slow).

Arecont:

So far, nothing wrong after using some of their cams for a year, but imaging can use improvement (well, the newer WDR domes are MUCH better, using a couple right now and happy with them).

Axis:

Good imagining cameras at a high price of course. Years ago we used a dozen 216FD's, a couple 207's, and a couple 213's. They were pretty good stuff at the time. And now? They are all DEAD. No video, rainbow ****, you name it. And now since it's long discontinued, we lose the money

Now we are trying out their newer stuff. We bought a brand new P3344-VE and after using it a couple days, it refuses to change the focus. (Send back since it still had warrenty). Also, a P3346-VE we are using at times will have extremely dark video that lasts for a minute (it occurs both during the day and the night). Will buy ONLY if it has warranty or if it's cheap enough.

Pelco:

Bought three used IXE-10LW's, so far holding well. Only thing is that they run so friggin' hot, they probably would die earlier than usual. But so far, nothing wrong after a year and a half of operation.

Sony:

Good so far, two years of using a couple DH-140's and all is well, nothing wrong with them. Previously, we used about six DF40's and DF70's for five years with no problems.

Vivotek:

So-so. Using two bullets (IP8362), one works fine but the other loses video every couple days. Not exactly enthusiastic about buying any more.

Samsung:

Not sure so far as we just bought one (SND-6084). So far, looking good, but it's only a week.

So what about your experience with the brands? So far skimming over the forum, it seems like Arecont's quality is kinda gored here.

(btw: I AM NOT PAID BY ANYONE TO POST THIS, I AM POSTING THIS BY MY OWN VOLITION).

Long term, if you want a stable camera, no problems, turn it on, forget about it, come back in a couple of years and it's still working, get Mobotix. I installed these at two communities that will never maintain them.

Also, if you have cameras even 1 year old, it's hard to compare to what's been coming out the past year in terms of image quality, resolution, low light capability and price. Even Axis, who knew they would add illuminators to cameras and they have in the past year, even a lower end model, the M3024-LVE. ACTi has gone 5 & 10MP on their newer cameras and some of the ones coming out in Jan/Feb are awesome. Sony's new high models do the really good job in low light and noise. Canon has new models that are impressive in low light. Vivotek continuous to unimpress. Samsung has different quality/price tiers, so depends on what you pay.'

You best bet is to go to ISC East next month and check out all that is new.

Never been to it and I was assuming it's like ISC West which is huge because of the venue, Javits Center. Thanks for the heads up, save me some airfare and $400/night hotels. I was surprised with the ASIS show last month in Chicago, it was larger than I thought, maybe 2/3rds the size of ISC West.

Never been to it and I was assuming it's like ISC West which is huge because of the venue, Javits Center. Thanks for the heads up, save me some airfare and $400/night hotels. I was surprised with the ASIS show last month in Chicago, it was larger than I thought, maybe 2/3rds the size of ISC West.

Since you save so much $$$, can consider going to Shenzhen for the CPSE show end of this month. It will blow you away!

Swann/Hikvision

Had the 4 camera Costco IP package installed since June, still working.

There are things I would change in the NVR software, and it's disappointing that the Swann software won't support all the features the camera can offer. The night pictures are a little disappointing, although the IR works pretty well within its range. Night is just noisy as heck, even without the insects.

That said, it's been a very reliable system. So far the NVR keeps chugging away within its limits. There have been several power outages locally, where we switch automatically to backup generator- no problem with spikes or resumptions. Cams can lag a few seconds at times but they are doing their job.