james121515

Sensor vs. Motion Detection what's the difference? (Samsung)

Hi everyone,

So I just got an SDE 3003n for my home. (I have an SDR 3100 at work for a few months). The two units are almost identically in terms of the software except for one difference. This unit has something called "Sensor detection". What is the difference between the Sensor and Motion detection? The user manual basically describes it as if it is the same as motion detection. What exactly does the Sensor do that the motion detection doesn't?

"Motion detection" examines the video from the camera for changes in the picture. Things like shadows, spiderwebs, moths, blowing trees and leaves, clouds passing over the sun, headlights passing over your property, etc all count as "motion", especially if you set your DVR up to detect motion more than a few feet from the camera (set with a high sensitivity). Lots of false positives. If you use a PIR sensor to detect "real" motion, then false positives are almost completely eliminated, especially if you use a proper outdoor PIR with IR and microwave technology.

As Kawboy12R says PIR motion detection is very nice to have.

Sooner or later you will use motion detection to record or to skip to the sequences to watch. Imagine a bush or something else triggering image motion detection needlessly an frequently and not having those false motion triggers using PIR motion detection.

Hi guys thanks for your responses.

So on the DVR I can set to have either Sensor Detection, Motion Both, or both, turned on. Under Sensor Detection, my options are "OFF", "N.C.", and "N.O.". I do not have an option for PIR. What is NC and NO?

Normally Closed or Normally Open. Depends on the sensor which one you select. If an NC sensor is tripped, open is the alarm condition. If an NO sensor is tripped, a closed circuit is the alarm condition.