christopher1

Lorex wifi camera, wiring to signal booster

Hi. What a great forum, glad to have joined. I won't bore you with a long story of the circumstances, I'm just basically looking for second opinions whether my plan will work or not. I purchased a Lorex LW2110 wirless camera/receiver thinking I was within the 150ft wirless range, but was slightly off and no signal. I had to make a quick decision on a signal booster and purchased the Lorex Omni-directional wireless range extender antenna (ACCANTO8), not realizing it was not compatible to the cameras. The reason it's not compatible is the booster antenna uses a RP SMA connector...didn't realize the cameras antennas can't be unscrewed. They basically have a grey wire going through the small 'built in' plastic antenna that is attached to the inner main chip of the camera...similar to how a laptop's wifi has a wire antenna going around the LCD screen. To save a lot of time (sending back and upgrading the cams), I'm thinking I'll crack open the cams built on antenna, exposing the grey wifi wire, splice it, splice the booster antennas wire, and join them. Will this work? My concern is video quality rather than signal strength. Or am I wrong altogether?? Please note, I will obviously make sure the spliced section of the wire is tucked in the wall and safe from the weather elements.

Thanks in advance!

I suspect that even if the camera had a proper removable antenna and that you had the proper booster antenna that it still wouldn't work. You aren't time or money ahead by using the antenna you've got and destroying the camera. Wired is always better than wireless. Also, depending on the circumstances, you might be able to use a wired camera of some kind or in some way anyway. For instance, I have two PoE network cameras on my back building feeding into the house over a pair of the network extenders that work over home AC wiring. One in the house, one in the building, add a PoE switch, some cameras, and voila- awesome hidef video in a tricky location with no additional trenching.