jmcu

Is coupling cat5 cable ok ?

Does coupling cat5 cable degrade the signal on a cable run ?

I have a long run and had it coupled in one place with no problems.

I had to moved the first hanger for the cable and I coupled it again, now I get no signal from the camera.

It is not PoE and all the cable tested ok.

Does coupling cat5 cable degrade the signal on a cable run ?

I have a long run and had it coupled in one place with no problems.

I had to moved the first hanger for the cable and I coupled it again, now I get no signal from the camera.

It is not PoE and all the cable tested ok.

yes its ok ....... push down box is best way ........ and also remember not to take to much of the cable twist

(keep twist as close to connection as you can)

Yes. Most of the time coupling works but like any connections the more contact points you put to it, the bigger the chances of degrading the connection's stability. I suggest that you get a good new cable that can reach your target location.

How did you couple it? Preferred method is via punchdown block but I've used "beans" many times and they always work. Just maintain the twists as much as possible.

Analog-over-UTP doesn't "disappear" over even quite long cable runs - it loses color first, then the B/W signal gets weaker and weaker as the length increases. I've tested passive-passive with runs of 500 feet, 1,000 feet and 1,500 feet and observed the results. I've also tested passive-active with runs up to 2,000 feet. Every test pointed to the same conclusion.

Be aware that IDC-type splices occasionally fail - wires can be cut or fail to make contact during the process. The problem is not always obvious, so check your splice(s) carefully. Also, make doubly certain you spliced the correct pairs and maintained the polarity.

I used 2 of these. The first one worked with no problem. When I put the second one in I lost the network connection.

I ran a new line to the first drop and still get no signal.

I didn't know if coupling it the second time was enough to drop the signal.

It is STP ran about 380'

233508_1.jpg

If you're actually running ethernet over it for a network camera, then the max you can do cat5 is like 290-300 feet. You need a repeater in it midway to boost the signal for a longer run.

Now if you're using baluns for video over twisted pair, you might have a problem elsewhere.

I used 2 of these. The first one worked with no problem. When I put the second one in I lost the network connection.

I ran a new line to the first drop and still get no signal.

I didn't know if coupling it the second time was enough to drop the signal.

It is STP ran about 380'

233508_1.jpg

you can buy the couplings in both straight through or crossover ........ are they both straight ???

but a punchdown block is much better .

how long is your run and what are you connecting ??

If you're actually running ethernet over it for a network camera, then the max you can do cat5 is like 290-300 feet. You need a repeater in it midway to boost the signal for a longer run.

Now if you're using baluns for video over twisted pair, you might have a problem elsewhere.

I had a extender for the run at 300' but it got burnt up with water ingress so that's why I coupled the 1st time and the signal was fine without it at ~380 feet.

I know they say the max distance is 328' / 100m so I was surprised when it worked without the extender. It worked with no problems.

you can buy the couplings in both straight through or crossover ........ are they both straight ???

but a punchdown block is much better .

how long is your run and what are you connecting ??

I didn't know you can buy the couplings in both straight through or crossover. I got them from 2 different places so I don't know. Is there a way to tell ?

I am at ~380 feet connecting to a PTZ camera.

If you have a cable tester, you can tell if it's crossover, one side will be 568A and the other will be 568B. Straight through means what it says, for instance, pin 1 to pin 1 2 to 2, etc. The crossover one might say "crossover" or "x-over" . Without seeing the one you have, I can't tell.

I tested the cable and they are straight through. It tested good all the way through the coupling. I only have 1 RJ45 connector left to change out that could be the problem.

The only other thing that I can think of is that the run might be to long with the last split I did, it might just be enough for it not to connect... ??

You are better not to use an RJ45 joiner as they are very susceptible to weather and will corrode, degrading the connection.

As mentioned by tomcctv you are much better using one of these (cat 5e junction box):

233579_1.jpg

You are really trying to reduce the number of breaks in the cable you have from source to destination however when using good cable and for shorter runs, it's unlikely to make much difference for basic applications. If you do use an RJ45 joiner, make sure you weather seal it.

You are better not to use an RJ45 joiner as they are very susceptible to weather and will corrode, degrading the connection.

As mentioned by tomcctv you are much better using one of these (cat 5e junction box):

233579_1.jpg

I would say that this unit must also be susceptible to weather as the other one, none of them seem good for outdoors unless properly protected.

I had a extender for the run at 300' but it got burnt up with water ingress so that's why I coupled the 1st time and the signal was fine without it at ~380 feet.

I know they say the max distance is 328' / 100m so I was surprised when it worked without the extender. It worked with no problems.

At 380 ft your increasing your chances for spotty service. Is there a way you can add a cheap ethernet hub to reduce the length?

I have worked on networks with long 400' runs that worked for years then just quit. New ends didn't bring it back. Switching to a new run usually resolved it. Wire is cheap. If your not wanting to add a hub or extender, run a dedicated line.

I looked at the cable today and I have 351' ran for the cat5. I changed out a fitting and was able to get my signal back.

I must of been to rough on it putting it into the j-box I have them in.

I know a dedi run would be ideal for that distance but in the location that it's at, I need to be able to drop that section

of cable. (instead of the whole run ) When they put up the new utility pole they sandwiched my line and the anchor support between the two poles.

Now I need to get a utility pole truck under the cable to remove the old pole.

It goes from under the eaves of a single story to a pole 25' up. That is the reason I coupled it from the start.

I will end up getting a weatherproof extender for the run to avoid any distance problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions ...