EddieR

A complete novice requires advice.

Hi to you all,

As the title of this post suggests I am new to the world of CCTV and this site!!

I am looking for some help / advice on installing CCTV sytems.

My Father and mother who are in their 80’s were recently burgled and as a consequent we decided for added security and peace of mind we would fit a CCTV system. Rightly or wrongly I opted for a Securix system as it appeared to tick all the boxes,

I managed to install the system ( 4 cameras ) in a few hours and got it setup to record etc, I then set it up on his network via an Ethernet cable and managed more by luck than judgment to be fair to view the system on an Iphone and Ipad using the Securix app,

2 days later this function stopped working? When I try to access it it comes up with a message saying “No server up”. I assumed that this was a problem with the Securix server and not at our end as I have not changed any settings on the DVR and everything else is working fine.

Securix are saying that there is nothing wrong with their system!!

So the questions are;

Any ideas on why its suddenly stopped working?

Is Securix a good system?

Is there any other generic Iphone apps that I could try to use?

Any advice welcome>

Regards Eddie R

Did you set it up using a dynamic DNS system or did you just read their current external IP address and plug it in? If you did the latter then most likely their external IP got changed by their ISP. Sometimes they don't change in many many months and other people have them changed on a regular basis. Google free dynamic dns if Securix doesn't offer their own, although it almost sounds like you're using their DDNS if you called them and they said that their system is up. Unless the fact that you might've plugged in the raw dotted quad IP address instead of the ddns name you chose slipped through their support cracks somehow...

I set up using the " Network Connection wizard".

There as an Auto Configuration function that allowed the DVR to obtain LAN parameters, IP address, Gateway, SubnetMask and DNS server address.

would it be best to set it up manually then?

Manually with a ddns. Unless you want to go over there and redo it every time their ISP changes their IP. This could be daily or, if you are extremely lucky, never. Most will charge extra for a static IP. Some change after many many months.

If you're not good with networking, you might try UPnP first. That's a universal plug and play setting that can be useful if networking is just not your thing. It automatically port forwards everything. What you'll need to do first is check and see if the router has UPnP and enable it, and then enable it in the dvr. Once the router and dvr have it enabled, you should be done. It sounds like you're not network savvy, so it might be worth trying this. If it doesn't do the trick, then you'll need to be walked through getting the system networked. It looks like securix has their own ddns system embedded in the dvr, so that will help if you have to go that route. Good luck.

2 days later this function stopped working? When I try to access it it comes up with a message saying “No server up”.

Hi. on DVR do you have under IP settings .... your external ip or your securix ID

Thanks Guys for all your help!!

It is now up and running, and I am able to log on though Iphone or Ipad anywhere via wireless or phone network.

Intially I had set up the Iphone viewing app using the IP address! but when reading it again I noticed I should have used the DVR name that I had given it!

Thanks again guys!!

994818703_setup.jpg.2dc99d3951db92afd841665eeee0011b.jpg