I have to install some fixed cameras and PTZ's in a parking lot on light poles. They do not want to go wireless. The poles are roughly 6 inches in diameter and unfortunately do not have conduit in them to protect my wires. I think the wires will be too close to the power wire inside the poles and I am concerned of interfearance of running video parrallel with power. What is better to use to keep out the noise, coax or UTP? Anyone know of anything I can wrap the wires in to protect them? It is a pretty long run also, about 800ft I have used passive baluns in the past but not active, I heard good things about NVT. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

someone else on this forum used a shielded RG cable that ran inside a PVC underground and ended up ground the shielding out both ends of the RG. produced decent results. you should be able to use a shielded CAT5 cable and do the same.

NVT is good stuff. I've tested the cheaper actives (foresight & eclipse) and they also do fine, but, if you have not quoted it yet get NVT or equal as it is the best. nice thing about NVT is that you only need power on the receiver end. you can try to mix and match passive with active....ie; put active on the DVR end and passive on the camera end.......works!

may want to make sure you also have ground loop built into the baluns......

Ive used RG6 at a pole with high voltage and it came out okay .. but its taking a chance ... you could run a piece first just at the pole and to a monitor right there, and see what you get, before running the wire all the way back.

Heres a little more info. The CCTV cables are run in their own seperate conduit than the power wires for the poles. The only time they will have close contact with the power wires is inside the pole leading up to the camera, roughly 25ft. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

another way is to terminate the active balun BEFORE it enters the light pole.......RG-59 the rest of the way to the camera. RG-59 is better suited to "ignor" crosstalk/noise........................just an idea?

whats the distance to the poles?

Can you put a weatherproof box at the bottom of the pole ..?

if so then you can run coax and / or cat5 + 18awg power cable to that box, then run from there.

I have RG59 runing a couple hundred feet, then spliced into RG6 (cable TV cable - only cable could get at short notice down here) and it goes through a box with high voiltage, no problems.

After a little research and and processing everyone's input I think I'll go with an NVT NV452R terminate it in a weatherproof box, then run 59 and 18-4 up the poles. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Yeah, i mean worst case scenerio you have the pole to play with, you can then look at other alternatives from the box to the cam in the event that it doesnt work out..

If the pole has enough room in it, then drop 1/2" aluminum flex down inside the pole to keep the low voltage seperate from the high voltage lighting circuits

Doug

Heres a little more info. The CCTV cables are run in their own seperate conduit than the power wires for the poles. The only time they will have close contact with the power wires is inside the pole leading up to the camera, roughly 25ft. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks

SNT make a small transmission unit that will fit in the back of the camera housing. It will give power to the camera and transmit the the video signal on a FM carrier about 500 - 800m (check specs) all on one coax. The noise rejection of this unit is fantastic.

I tested it in a carpark with existing cameras that was suffering from ground loop problems and very low signal (incorrect cable installed).

Put one of these units up and the picture was as if the camera was 1 meter away from the monitor.

No I don't and have never worked for SNT.

http://81.29.69.21/cmsserver/snt/index.cfm?page=single.cfm&sectionid=54

Yes NVT do sell very good kit for UTP, there is some new kit by fibre options who now use AGC levels, not seem yet but should be the best in the market.

RG-59 the rest of the way to the camera. RG-59 is better suited to "ignor" crosstalk/noise

Are you saying that video on RG59 is less inductive to RF/EMF than video over UTP?