CamB

Milestone Server Running Out of Storage

Does it sound right that my Milestone Server with 1TB of storage would be only able to retain 1 week of data? I have 3 5MP cameras hooked up recording constantly at default framerate and resolution. Installer told me that I should be able to have 30+ days with this setup. Obviously not the case, and installer is AWOL.

Any ideas?

1. Very few people would install anything under 2TB of storage today, as it is so cheap now days.

2. Are the cameras set on motion? And what exactly is the "default frame rate"? Is it recording using mjpeg, or h.264?

3. If they are on motion, is there a lot of things happening in the scene that would cause it to see motion, and record all the time?

Does it sound right that my Milestone Server with 1TB of storage would be only able to retain 1 week of data? I have 3 5MP cameras hooked up recording constantly at default framerate and resolution. Installer told me that I should be able to have 30+ days with this setup. Obviously not the case, and installer is AWOL.

Any ideas?

What's the default resolution and frame-rate? 1TB is paltry for recording 3 5MP cams for 7 days especially if it's recording something like 30 fps. Are you recording motion or continuously?

Do your cameras have bit rate settings? This is the easiest way to control and calculate your storage space. If they set a fixed bit rate, fps and resolution don't matter.

If the 3 cams run at 8192 kb/s (bits/second) bit rate each and record 24x7, each cam is recording 1MB (bytes) per second. That's 61MB/minute, 3.7GB/hour, 88GB/day per cam. For 3 cams, you'd get 265GB/day, or 3.8 days if you've got 1TB of space actually available.

4096 kb/s would double the time, but may start having quality issues with 5MP, depending on your frame rate.

lol

easiest way to tell how much your grabbing is just to go look at the data files they have time of creation so you can see...

we generate 6gb of data an hour per cam with 3mp cam's at max res/max qual rec 24/7... 144gb a day

Sorry for the delayed reply. I was traveling and was unable to get onto the server to check the camera settings remotely.

Here are the settings. Apparently there are 2 streams...whatever that means. I just checked the settings on a single camera.

STREAM 1

Encoder type mjpeg

Resolution 1920x1080

Frame Rate 30

Quality 70

STREAM 2

Encoder H.264

Resolution 1280x720

Frame Rate 5

Constant Bit Rate

Video Max Bit Rate unlimited

Video BIt Rate 2M

2 of 3 cameras record on motion, but with the wind, there seems to always be motion

1 of 3 cameras is continuously recording.

Depending on which stream you're recording, you can adjust your record time.

Stream1, with MJPEG at 1080p and 30 fps, will fill up a hard drive really quickly. Each frame is compressed with JPEG, but there's no frame to frame compression like with h.264.

Stream2, with a bit rate of 2Mbps, will generate 1GB of data per minute.

If there's no bit rate setting for Stream1, you'll have to either look at the recorded files and calculate it, or install something that lets you read the bit rate for each cam. Blue Iris will show you the actual bit rate of each camera in real time (in kB/sec, not kb/sec), and you can install the demo version to see this. There's probably other software that will do it, but BI is what I use.

Streams are there so you can have two sets of resolutions, frame rates. For example, you may use stream 1 to record at 3MP, but then connect using stream 2 at VGA resolution from your mobile phone to reduce bandwidth demands on your phone. Some phone apps know the phone has a second stream and gets that automagically. You do not have to use the second stream.